Old 10-08-2005   #11
Uncle B,
better bag that trip,hurricane Stan hammered most of the area betweem Costa Rica and Oaxaca,especially affected were the areas o the Pacific coast between El Salvador and theSoconusco{the coast of Chiapas},cause landslides and taking out several bridges.Driving should be extra fucked for quite some time!The footage they showed on tv of water like 15 feet high raging down the streets of Tapachula looked nasty,I don't know if the bridges over the Rio Suchiate{border between guat.& Mex.}are down but that would be very problematic,Tapachula's ok 'but trust me you don't want to get trapped in the border towns.
The Soconusco is an area that I believe has potential as a future kayaking hotspot.As far as I know there has been little to no exploration.It is tucked away in a remote corner of Mexico that sees few tourists except those onthe PAN AMERICAN or en route to Guatemala.The Sierra Madre de Chiapas is mostly from 1000 to 2500 meters with Tacana volcano,2nd highest peak in Guatemala[13 er} on the border,this area recieves apx 200 inches of rain a year.Most of the boating in Chiapas is in the east and central parts, it's a pretty big state.Grant Amaral and his guys will probably work thier way down here eventually,when thier done with OAXACA.I scouted part of Rio Izapa once and it had good gradient and some semi technical loking 3-4 stuff and probably gets better higher up,one draw back other than remoteness is possible private property there are alot of coffee fincas and cacao plantations around these parts.The noth western highlands of Guatemala,more or less adjacent to this area is also ripe for exploration 'now that the political situation has cooled abit.I think I may have come across another Agua Azul in my readings ,that i will hopefully check out and first huck some drops in my skill level .Gettin' off on too many tangents ,bye.

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote