Old 01-17-2012   #11
Greene, Iowa
Paddling Since: 2005
If going to North Shore, check out the Baptism, Illgen Falls is usually running and a great photo op/ look at me 30 footer. Other than that the Vermillion is fun. Playboating options would be the St. Croix on the MN/Wisconsin border(close to the city), or head south a couple hours and go check out the Charles City Whitewater Park. 3 nice features designed by REP, and easy spectator access. Good Luck and Enjoy paddling the MidWest !

iapowderhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #12
Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007
Speaking of the Vermillion, there is another Vermilion in the northern part of the state. It's about a 30 mile stretch (would make a great overnighter) but you can break it up and basically run all the good stuff. There are a couple of big falls and gorges.

BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #13
Boise/Hokitika (New Zealand), Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
So I'm from Duluth and am more than familiar with the North shore. In June you can expect flash floods only, to hold water in the creeks, otherwise the season is already over...await a gnarly thunder storm. The St. Louis is dam released, and will still have decent flows. The upper St. Louis is class III and has one class IV drop... and is generally a booze cruise or beginner learning grounds Below the Dam and into Jay Cooke state park has more Class IV/V goodness. And below the "swinging" bridge is the best fun... much class V beauty (see pic below). Lap it and smile.
Check out my blog for pics of the entire N. Shore creeks and the St. Louis (use the search feature): The Adventures of Burgess

burnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #14
Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007
Killer blog!! I love seeing all the pics of the St. Louis. I've never seen the falls at swinging bridge with enough water..only have run the left slot into the hanging pool. I was anxious to get back home this spring but now I can't wait!
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #15
Focus on your own damn family, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Really enjoyed the Blog. Brought back a lot of memories!

cbrobin is offline   Reply With Quote