Old 04-24-2007   #1
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Paddling near Albuquerque

Any suggestions for paddling in the Albuquerque area? I've got to go there for work next week and I wanted to take the boat along just in case. Thanks! Drew

funkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #2
2 hrs

You will be about 2 hrs give or take to The Racecourse section of the Rio Grande, Class 3 play. Same distance to the Embudo, Class 5 creeking. A bit closer is the Santa Cruz, Class 4+ creeking if it flows. Next week could be good as the temps are coming up. Atom..

action is the enemy of thought
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #3
Yrisarri, New Mexico
In town

There is a local playspot in town that we can go set up after work if you would like. It is a single playhole in a irrigation ditch. email me if you want to try it
NN5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #4
Moab, Utah
play park in NM??

i thought i saw some pics posted in the MB gallery of a couple play park features somewhere in NM, either sante fe or albuquerque? the pics were posted in the last year or two, and showed pretty high water at the features (with water rising into the brush/trees on the banks near the feature). does anyone remember where these features were at?

we are thinking of visiting albuquerque too, wondering if there is any play in town (other than the irrigation hole mentioned) to warrant bringing the boats along with our mountain bikes. thanks.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #5
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Send a message via MSN to jessefizzlepizzleizzle
farmington maybe?

I know that Farmington has a little ww park. I have seen some of the pictures from the '05 season when they had a ton of water flowing through, those might be the pics you are thinking of. Other than that I don't know of any other ww parks in NM. Would be nice to get something down here in the south end of the state tho...
jessefizzlepizzleizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #6
As posted Farmington is the ONLY official playpark in NM. Nothing in Santa fe b/c we don't have a river, we have a dry ditch that runs through town.

The "Ditch" in Albuquerque is the irrigation channel. It isn't bad and a nice way to cool off on a hot day but nothing to bring your boat for.

As Atom posted the only real feature is on the Rio "Sleeping Beauty". But that is 2 hours North.

Bring your mtn bike and climbing shoes if you're headed for Abq. Lots of both and good quality. In fact if you ride the foothills in the NE Heights of Abq you've got great bike trails and granite bouldering all over the place.
RealitySheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #7
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Thanks for all the info...I think I'll take reality's advice and bring the mtn bike and rock shoes. Do you think Mt Sandia will be dry enough to ride?

funkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007   #8
You might not be able to ride all the way to the top just yet as the shaded sections of the trails might still have a bit of snow, (not so much you could walk over it though i'll bet) but the foothills are fine and dry, ready to go. I you ride anywhere near the terminus of Copper NE make sure to stop by the U-Mound Boulders.

root beers, jelly beans, vanilla pudding and candy canes

RealitySheriff is offline   Reply With Quote