Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-26-2009   #1
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Paddling Life event re-cap and short vid of Fish Creek race

Weather didn't keep away the paddlers or spectators for the 4th annual Paddling LIfe Pro Invitational in Steamboat this weekend. The water levels are really good up there right now as both the creek race and C-Hole had near perfect flows for the event.

The race was on Fish creek from the wier to the bridge (1/2 mile is my guess). It is not the most difficult portion of the creek but is a good spot for the race as it has plenty of challenging lines and is easy for people to watch the action from. Even with a healthy layer of sleet coming down plenty of locals came out to cheer on the racers.

Freestyle started an hour and a half later on the Yampa in town at the C-Hole. Again, the water levels produced a great spot for the paddlers to show their skills in. Big deep foam pile with some green on the shoulders. The format was three rides, one minute long or until you flushed, then next paddler dropped in. Jam format and really the most spectator friendly way to do it. Women went first all the way thru finals then the men.

Race Winners: Andrew Holcombe and Tanya Faux
Freestyle: Tanya Faux and Nick Troutman
Overall combined: Nick Troutman and Tanya Faux

I wore my camera for the race. Here is the view.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
that looks fun. Was that a Green Boat or Nomad?

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #3
That my friend is a good ole' Nomad 8.5.
Old 05-26-2009   #4
Hobie- Thanks again for handling the announcer duties. I'd say, aside from the gray skies, everything went great. It's pretty sweet to see the talent rip up a home feature.

I know we locals have a great time at this event every year and it seems the competitors feel the same. We were definitely stoked that everyone could have a taste of Steamboat at nice flows this weekend too. Water always equals fun.

See everyone next year.
I will destroy you.
routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #5
Thanks for having me back. Steamboat is always a good time and this year's water made it even sweeter. Also congrats to Dan Piano and Sarah Hamillton for the local win to put them into the big show. Sarah was a good sport with the bootie beer as well!

You all should head south next week if you get the chance for the Homestake race and some Eagle county runs. Lots of good water here as well. The eagle river is ideal for all levels (upper has good class v-) while the lower has class II-III. The Vail hole is working as is Avon's. Hope you can make it down here so we can return the hospitality.

Old 05-27-2009   #6
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
my kids were pretty excited to see your video. We saw you go by with the camera on your helmet and then when we watched it they swear that they can see themselves standing on the big rock river right.

dq is offline   Reply With Quote