Old 10-02-2008   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling in Venezuela

Anyone have any information about paddling in Venezuela? I have seen some photos that look really good and I think that that the paddling opportunities may be quite promising. Has anyone been there, or heard any adventures there? Any beta

bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Haven't been there but studied traveling there a bit.The best locale for whitewater seems to be around Merida in the Andes it is the outdoor sports hub of VZ.There was a magazine article a few years ago,AW? or Kayak Session?,about some boaters doing first D'S based out of Merida,I'll see if I can find it for you.I met a Kiwi in Guatemala who was going to work for an outfitter that did whitewater near Merida,raft trips on the Orinoco,and sea kayaking in the Caribbean,so there are outfitters try a google search.Another mag had an article about running big water with some 4-5 rapids on the Caroni the river of Angel Falls or very near it,in a Prijon Yukon.Check a recent Lonely Planet for outfitters.

The whole Guyana Highlands area is one of the least explored areas on earth.I THINK IT IS FULL OF RIVERS TO EXPLORE encompassing SE VZ,southern Guyana and Suriname,and parts of No. Brasil.It is a real dangerous area,aside from remoteness and serious jungles and sabanas you have border disputes ,drug running,and political unrest.If that is not bad enough it has abundant crocs,caimans,GIANT anacondas,and bushmasters!!!

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #3
venezuela rios beta...

hey there --

saw your questions about paddling in venezuela. i went there a few years ago with an all-star crew of johnnie kern, dustin knapp, brennan guth, and land heflin. we based largely out of merida and found muchos rios in the hills around there and to the south. give me a call or email me directly and i'd be glad to let you know what we found. and as always, safe travels and paddles out there.

Dunbar Hardy
Dunbar Hardy: Photographer/Writer
Boulder, Co
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey Dunbar didn't you first D the Macal Gorge with Cully and Josh Lowry ?If so was the put in Guacamallo bridge, is the upr.gorge continuous or pool drop ,and did you guys explore any other creeks in the area? I was exploring Rio On and Privassion Crk. 2005 and before .Hope to get back.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #5
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
It is a real dangerous area,........... bushmasters!!!
If bushmaster's are dangerous then hanging out with stinky, homeless kayakers on Mountainbuzz is a safe place place to be!
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote