Old 08-07-2012   #1
Munich, Germany
Paddling Since: 1991
Paddling in CO, WY, ID- need advice!

Hi folks,

I have a couple of days off during a stay in the States next week (from Sunday to, and including, Wednesday). I will be in the Vail area on Sunday and will fly out of Salt Lake City on Thursday morning. Here is my question:

I am a solid boater and would like to go boating on one or more of these days. Anything you guys would recommend in CO, Wyoming, Idaho?? Thing is, I need to rent all kit and I further need someone to show me around. Where will I be able to find these two things?? I would be willing to hire a guide if it's necessary or useful.

I usually prefer difficult stuff but considering I will have rented gear and probably have no idea of my companions abilities (and vice versa) I was thinking of some real class 4 runs.

I am happy for any suggestions as to places, people, shops/outfitters. Every piece of advice is highly appreciated! I have the feeling this is the right place to ask, but if you know other places to post this, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance,

Wyen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #2
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Wherever there is water..

BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #3
Munich, Germany
Paddling Since: 1991
Obviously. More substantiated answers are still most welcome!
Wyen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #4
idaho falls, Idaho
Anyway you could change your SLC departure to a Boise, ID departure and back it up a day or two? You'd have no trouble finding some fun boating and plenty of people to go with.
whee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
If you are going to be in Vail, you should probably just go to Gore Canyon. It is real class IV, easy to find other boaters or at least hitch a shuttle, you can figure it out on your own if you don't find other boaters there, and most importantly, it is actually running. Check out some of the online descriptions to see if that is what you are looking for and to get directions.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #6
Boise, Idaho
Boating around Banks is iffy right now, as there's a fire just off SF Payette. Already they've shut down that stretch. Main and NF might be next. Traffic there is a nightmare.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #7
Hi Henning,

As far as gear is concerned you should probably get in touch with Alpine Quest (closest to Vail): Alpine Quest Sports- Colorado Kayaking , Climbing, Backcountry, Skiing, Kayak School, Camping, SUP, Standup Paddleboards

Or CKS in Buena Vista: Kayaks, Kayak Accessories, Gear, Fishing Equipment, Kayaking Accessory
rboater7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #8
chicago, Illinois
ID is where the water's at.
romerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #9
Boise, Idaho
Originally Posted by romerun View Post
ID is where the water's at.
Payettes are pretty much shut down right now. At least, the SF is... and the traffic getting there.

Just a head's up.

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote