Old 10-16-2009   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
paddling ecuador this winter

heading to ecuador on wednesday and will be there until about january. i plan on going to Tena of course, but I want to explore elsewhere. nothing is out of the question. if anybody else is going to be traveling that way and wants to paddle, give me a shout.

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
whats up tango!

I just got back from Ecuador three days ago. The Tena area is a bit dry right now, but according to Tim from River People located in Tena it can change very quickly. But, dont worry. Even though its dry there is still way more water than Colorado in late July. Believe it or not... I only ran the rio jondachi into the rio hollin while I was in Ecuador for a month. But the guides said it was about as low as you wanna go and I felt like i was on pine creek at 600CFS. It is the dry season now, but they still get plenty of rain (just not on as consistent of a basis as during the wet season) Stop by and say hi to Tim. He is super cool with you joining their raft trips. (He only requires that you pay a bit for gas and food.. i got charged $10) Hell, he maybe will even offer you part time raft guiding job. Also, There was plenty of water on the Misahualli to have tons of fun!

Then make sure to go over and say hi to Larry, Don and Darcy at Small World on the Quijos River. Larry arrives on Oct 25th, and Don and Darcy arrive in mid November.

There was also a few rivers running really well over in the Banos area. There are tons of raft companies in this town too.

I was on the west side of the Andes as well and I believe that this side is about to start its wet season ( I think November) There are a few paddlers from Ft Collins who live and run a bar in Canoa (surf town on the coast). They want to start paddling soon too. Stop by Surf Shak in Canoa and say hi to Pete and Dave. I don't know the rivers, at all, on this side. But there was one right next to the highway from Aloag to Santa Domingo that was low but runnable and looked like it had some fun rapids.

Have fun!! Its a sweet country. Don't let your guard down while you are in Quito... the bus thieves have us gringos pegged and they are sneaky and quite good at stealing your crap. Keep your money attached to your body and don't leave your bag out of eyesight.

If you have any questions feel free to call me... 970-485-1924

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #3

I'm heading back down to paradise on Monday. I have my creek boat down there now and I'll for sure be heading to the Chaco area at the end of this month for the rafting race, and hopefully some kayaking. This year should be especially rainy on the west coast and there are a sack full of good runs that are about 3hrs from Canoa where I live.

Hit me up when you get down there if you need anything and maybe we can do some boating. You can contact me through the website. Good luck and have a great trip.

hey diddle diddle...
lotsawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #4
Hey Casey,

Do you have a guidebook yet? Like Mark said there are some good runs near the town of Santo Domingo (I assume that's what Pete is talking about too, 3hrs from his place).

Our guidebook covers quite a few runs in this area, but there is also more exploring to be done around there if you are feeling motivated!

Send me an email or give me a call and I can get you a book 970 309 8913 and discuss other "off the beaten path" areas to paddle if you are into that.

Also, Larry left for Ecuador today, if you need anything while you are down there help, advice, him and he'll be happy to help. His cell phone in Ecuador is 09 792 0120 and you can call him from any phone office in Quito or elsewhere.

Did you decide to try to bring your own kayak down?

Happy travels,

darcyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
mark, i might give you a call today or tomorrow with a few questions about your experiences down there.

pete, i will probably be emailing you. my buddy i am traveling with is set on spending a week or so at the beach so perhaps you'll see us at your surf shak.

and darcy, i just shot you an email. thanks for the info so far.

i am fired up to get to ecuador and check out some new rivers. 2009 has already been a great year for me with lots of new runs all over the place.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote