Old 04-09-2007   #11
conifer, Colorado
Maybe you could have a circle jerk on Main St. in Greeley to finish things off. Marko could be the pivot man, I'm sure he's had plenty of experience in this area. Maybe you could also spew false information about Global Warming like it has any connection to CO2 levels.

mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #12
conifer, Colorado
Why don't you have a circle jerk at Main Street in Greeley to cap it off...excuse the pun. Marko could be pivot man as he has plenty of experience in this area. Also why not spew false information about Global Warming such as CO2 levels have anything to do with it.

mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #13
Fort Collins/GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Thats dirty Mr. compassionate, but a good idea, you'll be the target in the middle, how about that?

The march will be authorized by the city and its authorities if it ever gets off the ground, its just an idea.

Farp, on the contrary, there is nothing quite like a protest to engage an immediate population and make people think (I welcome being stopped in my vehicle). Here in the states we are petrified of marches and protests. Why? Our government has done a very good job of making us afraid to voice our opinion and join together for a common cause that questions the mainstream process.

Have you guys travelled much, have you seen how people take to the streets with passion and determination. Its just a symbol, its just simple action, its just a spark that builds a PR fire.

I think Dams suck, its pretty simple. In this day and age, its all about solar and wind in my opinion. Dams are for dumb people.

Water conservation is key indeed. Water conservation is part of the solution, but what about this heat? Where did our snow pack go? We have to start thinking more long-term about how global warming is effecting our water-sheds if we want to keep paddling in CO especially.

Creative, respectful, and realistic?
What are you up to Ryguy that is so innovative?
Please enlighten me.

I'm raising money and awareness and making art out of it.
Check the link below:
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #14

I admire your skills and convictions. Your video clips are intriguing and I can’t wait to purchase the final product. But I think you misinterpret the “unwashed masses’” passion for your issue. It’s a common mistake for advocates. If you want to draw attention to your opposition of dam(n)ing the Poudre, there is nothing wrong with that. But you’re not fighting the civil rights movement. You’re not trying to kick England out of India, and most of the aforementioned “unwashed masses” aren’t as cultured as you think you are; therefore, they don’t like being stuck in traffic by a bunch of smelly kayakers. Considering how creative you appear by your filmmaking, I suspect a more potent showing of civil disobedience than “stopping traffic” could be hatched.

By the way, acting sanctimonious won’t help your cause either. Plenty of people have traveled abroad and regardless how much you wish for it, their experiences in other countries doesn’t equate to the realities of the American political climate in 2007.

Lastly, the comment “Dams are for dumb people,” is duplicitous. You are trying to vilify water storage when your favorite run (Big South) is enhanced—if not created—by Long Draw Reservoir. Without Long Draw, the run would be blown out during runoff and too low after the Forest Service opens the road. Notwithstanding, those dams are the reason every one of us lives on Colorado’s Front Range.

Please let us know when the video is available for sale and good luck. I hope your efforts pay off.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #15

Thanks for checking out the clips Farp.
I'm glad they were intriguing for you.

I'm clean dog, showered this morning.
Its not about stopping traffic, I'm not sure why everyone got so myopic on that but I think its funny. God forbid cars are forced to stop, and I dont know about you but I wash my poly, it smells like roses.

This may as well be civil my friend, and the Poudre may as well be England. To make a statement you have to piss a few people off, there are no safe statements, safe gets you a dam and a dry river.

Those whom are cultured understand protest beyond the american paradigm, and it brings insight and openness to have seen other places and peoples. We live in a bubble here, a narrow tunnel at times.

Assumptive to say the Big South is my favorite run. The gate is there as much as the dam, kill the gate and the dam, we'll run it early and hike in from Rocky Mountain. How does long draw 'create' the big south? I understand and appreciate your point, I'm not a purist and obviously I dont think we should be living in trees, I just want sustainable growth and more conservation when it comes to water. The current water storage proposals are about making development cheaper and faster. The debt raised by the project in outlying communities is ridiculous.

Fort collins spends less than 100k a year on water conservation efforts, arvada spends about 3 million. Guess who uses more water. There have been enough dams, lets move forward, lets honor the work of david brower and learn from our mistakes. Our rivers need us now more than ever.

Less than 2 percent of the rivers in north america are free-flowing.

I'm marching.
Old 04-10-2007   #16
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Thank you for your pursuit.
mountaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #17
Hey Adrock.
You would know better than I. Are they proposing any type of hydro-power from the dam? I know they plan to pump the water to the reservior. How big will the dam be at the base of the canyon in order to trap the water so they can pump it up to their new reservoir?

Hope you kick those guys' asses.

BTW, I have invented a device that captures the energy from my urine stream. I order to power my house with it, I need A SHIT TON more beer. If anybody knows where to get a government grant for a METRIC SHIT TON of beer. Let me know. I'll share my invention with you.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #18
lots of reasons why this is a bad idea--fiscally and just flat out caring about a river.
info and alternatives:
see also:
shelbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #19

You are referring to the dams and reservoirs, yes? (as a bad idea)
Old 04-13-2007   #20
ski/kayak bum
stopping traffic = more carbon emissions from those cars.

Dams aren't necessarily a bad thing. I used to work for Denver Water and the people there wholeheartily believe in conservation. In fact they hired me for a summer as a full time employee to drive around and enforce smart use of water and to inform the public of conservation methods. They are also the second largest land owner in the state of colorado. They do a tremendous amount of things to allow recreation, access and to study environmental impact. Not only that, but the denver metro area has amazingly clean tap water which helps midigate the use of horribly wasteful bottled water. So yes your ideals might be right but your method is ignorant. If you want to spur change, please try a better way. If you want some ideas, please call AW or some other organization to help you out. On a parting note, fight the man!!! just do it intelligently. Oh and if you want to talk to someone from outside of this country with intelligent opinions, message BSOE.

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote