Mountain Buzz banner

Paddle selection advice

4K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  CREEKER138 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a new a new paddle and need some general advice- going from a really old straignt shaft werner wenatchee to newer style ergo paddle. I paddle mostly class IV, play is on the river not in the playpark. I've demoed an AT4 river runner and I'm not convinced I like the asymetric design, tends to twist in my hands. Some have suggested the player version instead, any helpful advice would be appreciated?
Bryan

#2 ·
I've had 2 Werner bent shafts, a Player and a Double Diamond. I've been very happy with each of them. I found the transition from straight to bent shaft to be immediately comfortable. Not so easy going back to straight though. I think you would be hard pressed to go wrong with whichever Werner bent shaft you choose.

Mike

#4 ·
Bent shaft is the only way to go. Much better for your shoulders and allows you to make quicker, stronger paddle strokes.

First paddle was AT3 which was okay, but the right paddle blade broke in half a couple months into its first season. Second paddle was a Werner Player bent shaft. Great paddle, retired recently after 3 full seasons of 70+ days and kept in the truck for a back-up.

Newest paddle is a Woody Custom Kreeker bent shaft. Paddled this one about 15 days so far. Its got a solid wood shaft and is heavier than my first two paddles which I really like the feel of and it keeps your hands alittle warmer. It's my first paddle with foam core blades and they seem to be more stable and controllable in really squirly water and finish paddles strokes better by coming out of the water cleaner than the thinner blades. They are expensive but check one out if you get a chance, I think they are well worth it.

#7 ·
I just switched from an AT2 to a Werner straight shaft player. I tend to have a narrower grip than most of my friends and found that a bent shaft didn't give me the control or power that the straight does. With that said, I guess I'm a little odd because I've never heard of anyone switching back to a straight unless forced to do so. I guess I must be old school at heart.

Kent

#9 ·
I play with an AT2 (in its 4th season) and creek with a BS Sidekick (5th season and needs to be replaced for crying out loud). In that time I've averaged 90 days a season.

I have nothing bad to say about either paddle. Some folks say that AT2s break, but mine is solid. I have seen some AT2s break on Class V creeks, but AT clearly markets it as a freestyle paddle, not meant for creeking. I think it's hard to break an AT2 if you're not creeking. The only one I know that broke playing was from a bad windowshade in the (too shallow) hole in Bryson City on the Tuck.

If I had to have only one paddle it would be a BS Sidekick with a glass shaft (easier on the elbows) and carbon blades (more durable but no longer available).

#11 ·
Yeah, that can happen with any paddle though. But I do agree with you on Werner in general -- the must durable performance paddle out there, period.

I guess I feel the need to stick up for AT 'cause I used to think they were fragile crap, then bought one when Werner stopped making glass BS paddles. I have been pleasantly surprised.

But back to the original thread, try out a few friends' paddles - this will tell you a lot about the feel, which we can't really help with. Oh crap - I'm still in the office. Gotta hit Connie. Later.

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.