Old 02-10-2006   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Paddle on rack question???

I would like to carry my paddle on my rack with the kayak this year. I have put paddles on the rack and tied them down with cam straps, which worked, but was kind of a pain in the butt. I saw the yakima multimount apparatus which looks like a holder for paddlers that sits on your rack, and this seems like a simple deal that is always on the rack. Anyone used one of these? Does it work well? Is is easy to use? I have thought of short sections of rope and simply tying knots, but something on the rack you can plop one or multiple paddles in with a bomber lock on it sounds pretty cool Any thoughts?

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #2
Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
In addition to my kayak I also carry my bike on my roof rack. When my bike isn't there, the tire channel makes for an easy place to put a couple of paddles. There's already a strap on one end (the one used for the tire on my bike), and I use an old toe-clip strap on the other end. Works well and is quick on/off. If you don't already have a bike channel, then you might as well just buy the paddle specific mounts. Nothing else I've tried has worked well or easily.

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)
earthNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #3
Web Developer/Programmer
I paddled with a guy who had that multimount. It was pretty slick. We got three or four paddles in it. Fast secure and locking. If I used a rack I'd get it for sure.
Damn I Look Good.
l-dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #4
Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
Try using a paddle bag. many hold up to 4 paddles, and they have attchment points to cam them on the roof. It keeps safe from the elements as well.
bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #5
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
I have the Yakima multi mount and I love that thing. It is super easy to use and I have fit 4 or 5 paddles in it.

In my opinion it is worth the purchase.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #6
I have the multimounts, Yakima on one car and Thule on the wife's, and they work great. The Thule set up is sweet. You can actually lock the paddles to the car, in the mount. Cool system. Both work great!
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #7
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I use them, too, work real slick...even with bent shafts. Five straight shaft, easy...less if you have some bent shafts. Maybe only three bent shafts.

But the ladies like the bent shaft...oh yeah.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #8
Metro Area, Colorado
I have always used my ski racks to hold paddles. They work great. You can carry as many as you need, can lock them, and they aren't going to fly off the top of the car. for what it is worth....
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #9
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
A friend of mine named Carson Kiser (goes to CSU) had a bike tray with a DH fork mount - wider and elevated for a double-crown DH fork. The mount was set up front above the windshied, with a rear strap for the wheel. We could easily fit 3 paddles in (2 Sevens and 1 Werner). It was super simple and very practical. Probably more than you want to spend, but since he was a downhill rider, it was the perfect match.

You could always buy a rocket box and put your paddle and wet clothes inside after the takeout, too.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006   #10
I too have a set of the multimounts and i loved them until they broke. If you are gentle or at least remember that they are there, they work great. But when you start to get rough while loading boats, they will break. I think a friend loaded his boat on top of the multimount and the weight just snapped the plastic. Its a great buy just be careful with them. I think that paddle bag is a better idea.

huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote