Old 08-10-2011   #1
Paddle Info

Looking to upgrade my paddle. I presently use an AT 4 200cm paddle. It's a little short. Looking to go longer, does anyone know what lengths I can get paddles above 200? I have been using AT since I started paddling, but would be interested in looking elsewhere if I can find one that will actually be long enough. I'm 6'8" by the way, probably looking for something around a 205.

brokenpaddlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #2
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Paddling Since: 2007
I had a student recently that was using a 205 Aquabound. He said they will make them custom to any length. I'm guessing your accustomed to a bent shaft though, so finding anything over 200 may be a problem.

RomanLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #3
x, x
Paddling Since: x
you can get up to a 203cm from werner,

i have a 0 deg. bent shaft foam core in a 203cm in loveland if you want to try it.

you can get up to 205cm from ty-wrap, sommer, h2o, lightning and otheres for sure. let me know if you need any help.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #4
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
If you don't need bent shaft, I highly recommend getting a wooden paddle from Anderson Paddles.

They are readily available I think. He was very responsive and communicative, and was able to get me my paddle quickly.

If you need something built for creeking abuse, I recommend his ABAX.

My ABAX has seen me through almost two full seasons now, including some winter paddling, and bracing along rocks and who knows what else. I keep mine regularly re-coated with a wood finish (in my case, I use linseed oil and mineral spirits to re-coat it when it scratches through to the wood; because it's easy and cheap and doubles as a tacky grip-surface for the shaft). The flex and durability you get in a good wooden paddle is worth it.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #5
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Sawyer Sidewinder

Also check out the Sawyer Sidewinder. My brother has one and LOVES it. It's a Bent Shaft too. Made for creeking and taking a lot of abuse. He demoed it from CKS during Paddlefest, and then soon after bought one from Confluence. I'm not sure of the sizing length though.

Here's their Link:
Sidewinder Paddle

And another link with more info on 'em; I could not find their official site with info about 'em: This link has the lengths of them in on it.

- Alex
If you're going to stick it out there, don't be afraid to get it cut off.
Airborne2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Another thumbs up on the Sidewinder

I picked up a Sidewinder this Spring and have been digging it as well! Feels great and seems bomber so far (knock on wood core). $300 for a custom, bent shaft wood/carbon hybrid stick simply cannot be beat!

The Sidewinder is a little unconventional, but I like it now that I'm used to it. If you want something a little less "outside the box", you may consider the Copperhead, which they bill as their bent shaft play stick.

Sawyer's website is HERE, but Confluence has them in stock, or they can order one to your custom specs.
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #7
Thanks for the reply's. Just talked to sawyer and will probably be looking at ordering one of those soon.

brokenpaddlejon is offline   Reply With Quote