Old 06-05-2005   #1
paddle advice

I've been boating for a few years and I'm getting more serious. I have upgraded most of my equipment, but I'm still using an older paddle. It's getting beat up and the edges of the blades are wearing.

As I get more agressive, one of my biggest fears is breaking a paddle. I know, it happens to a lot of paddlers, but I really want to find something reliable. I hope to start running some V this year and I don't want to get stuck in the middle of some gnarly river with only hand paddles to get me through it.

Are the more expensive paddles worth the money or are they just as likely to break as the more moderately priced paddles? I'm not talking about the cheap stuff.

So, really what I'm asking is: what is the toughest paddle available?

RiverCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #2
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Woody Custom Paddles, without a doubt

You must check out Woody Custom Paddles at There is no doubt in my mind that they are at least as tough as anything else in the industry.

My buddy started the company and he has told me about the reliaility of his paddles: He's been making paddles for a few years now. Only ONE paddle has broken and that was a prototype being used by a pro on some giant massive wave in Africa. And that was over a year ago.

Another one of his team members has broken every other paddle he has used (he broke seven paddles one season), but has been paddling with Woody since the beginning and has yet to break one.

You wanted to know if a good paddle is worth the money? Yes. I am not a hard-core paddler, but I am much more confident with a Woody because I know their reliability record. And I know that the guys who make them take pride in their work.

ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #3

Thanks for the quick answer!

You said it's your friend's company, so I'm hoping you can answer more questions for me, but I have to go now. I'll have to ask tomorrow...
Old 06-06-2005   #4
Local Paddler

Looks like there are more people answering my question on Local Paddler.

I'll see you over there! But I have a question to ask while I'm here: I am left-handed. I didn't know until a little while ago that there are left-handed paddles. I also saw that on the Woody Paddles site. What really is the difference?
Old 06-07-2005   #5
Between a Woody and a Werner? or a right control and left?

A R vs. L paddle the difference is very apperent. It has to do with the control blade when being held in a natural position.
If you hold a right hand paddle the right balde is vertical and the left blade is tilted away from you.
If you hold a left hand paddle the left balde is vertical and the right blade is tilted away from you.

On a 0 dregree paddle they are even.

On a Woody vs. Werner my Werner Player is lighter but from what I understand the Woodys are less prone to breaking do to the natural flexing nature of wood other than that I think it's a personal prefrence so demo all of them. I bought my Werner cuz the shop person told me to.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote