Old 04-12-2011   #1
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Pacuare Lodge

My wife and I want to paddle the Rio Pacuare in Costa Rica and stay at the Pacuare Lodge. Does anyone know the section that the Lodge is located on and how far into the run it is? Ideally we want to have a pretty long 1st day on the river, stay at the lodge, then paddle out the next day for another long day on the river. Anyone have any comments?

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #2
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
jonny water,
As I remember it's about a third of the way down (might be closer to half way) so the first day wouldn't be that long - unless you run the upper Pacuare on the first day and then continue on to the lodge. That would be a pretty long day as there is a lot to scout if you don't have a guide.
If its just you (aka you're not trying to keep up with a raft trip) you could certainly take your time and make the lower last a long time with play and such. Either way, the Pacuare Lodge looked gorgeous- seems like a good choice.

Vaya Con Rios!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #3
The Pacuare lodge is on the lower section about a third of the way from Finca la Cruz (the put-in). If you were to launch from there, you wouldn't get to any of the big rapids except the very first one, Bienvenido. The rest of the big ones, including the two Huacas rapids, are directly below the lodge -- they are class IV. Siquirres is the takeout for the 23-mile lower section. If you can find a company that will take you to the the Upper section and allow you to stay at the lodge, you might get what you're looking for. They might be able to haul bags for you on their rafts if you want to take some luggage.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #4
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Great! Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I don't think we are going to run the upper. We were jut hoping to run the lower and then head to other rivers.

Have you run the Reventazon? I read that it was polluted so we decided to skip that one.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #5
West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
The Pacuare Lodge is without a doubt the coolest place I have ever stayed. Have fun, and maybe consider a second night there! Food cant be beat.
"Nothing says dirtbag like a mylar pillow with a spigot."
dogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #6
The Reventazon is nasty. You're wise for skipping it.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #7
Fort Collins, CO Summer Paddling Since: 2003

The reventazon, pascua section is a great run. Should not be avoided!!!!! The water is nasty, but nothing a little guaro won't get rid of.
BrownTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #8
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
Don't miss the Reventazon!!! The water is nasty but it offers the best (reasonably accessible) whitewater in Costa Rica. If you are going for whitewater, run the Reventazon. It also doesn't hurt to mention that they are building another damn and the Pascua section will be a lake in a few years.

I don't know how private access works for the "Pacuare Lodge" but I do know that there are about 5 "Pacuare Lodges" each owned by a different company - figure out which one you want to go to as they are each slightly different.

dfindley11 is offline   Reply With Quote