Old 07-12-2007   #11
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986

Good to know you're out there.

I'll go through these posts and the PMs and come up with a list, then send it out to all who replied, with some miscellaneous blather on trip ideas. It would help to have your direct e-mail address, so I'll check BUZZ profiles.

To prime your pumps, here's a pickie of the Jack's Fat Cat I paddled on the Grand Canyon (with me on top for a change), snaking around a hole. Wish I could bloodywell remember which rapid it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FatCatGrand.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	646.2 KB
ID:	150
(photo by Jack Kloepfer)

In any event, thanks–

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007   #12
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987

I have a very large hardshell kayak and have done several self-supports. I am interested in some of the runs that you listed.kaya

jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007   #13
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Son of Seldom Seen

Gotcha– I just sent you the list of those who responded previously, via PM, and will add your name on the next go 'round.

The guy who Abbey had in mind while writing the character of Seldom Seen Smith was Ken Sleight, an outfitter (he & Jane Sleight ran Pack Creek Ranch SE of Moab) and political firebrand. I did a try-out horsepacking trip with him into Grand Gulch (he had the only permit I think). But I didn't like taking a big string of horses through those canyons. So I didn't go to work for him. Yet he is (as they say in Utah) a unique individual.

As a relative, of sorts, you should look him up.

yrs, Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007   #14
Front Range, Colorado
I have a one person ducky, and am in the process of buying another one (tandem), or a pack cat for the exact types of trips that you mention. I would love to be put onto your list for upcoming trips. As far as Deso goes, I have always taken the 14' down it even when the flows are really low. The only reason being is the significant other and comfort factor for such a long trip.
passport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #15
canon city, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Ive done alot of these trips and one Id like to do is a late fall trip on the Salt.
cayce weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #16
Brighton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Hi there

Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
That's how I got into boating in the first place,3 day self support ducky trip on the Dolores,freakin'awesome i was hooked immediately,also did 3 night trip on Gila wilderness run and lots of 1 nighters Westwater,Gunny Gorge,etc.Havn't been doing many of those trips in recent years,would love a Dinosaur or Lodore trip if someone got a permit,4 day 3 night would probably be the maximum i could get away for this year.How long does Deso-Gray take?What other runs were you considering?My friend Kevin is really into that type of boating also,and has tons of experience at it.In other words I'D BE INTERESTED.
I am seeking others to go on family trips with . We have our own solo duckies. Weekends mostly, class II and III, we have been on about 8 trips together. We are 2 adults, 1 fourteen year old boy. Brighton Colorado
cfeliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #17
just figured out a decent frame for this old thing. Since it uses air filled thwarts to spread the tubes, and they are small and the primary point of contact with rocks, they puncture and quickly lose any structural pressure.

but with some aluminum tubing I found at resource I think I have a solid way to stretch the tubes even without the thwarts inflated! weighed the whole contraption last night and it comes in just under 25lbs with tubes and straps!!!

I think I would really like to go float something deep in a canyon, just say the word. Also just found out my wife is taking a job in CA in the fall, so I could either meet up for some fun out there, or will have beaucoup time for overnighters!!!

redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote