Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-26-2010   #1
On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
PA Boaters House Fire Relief ***Please Sticky***

On the afternoon of Friday April 23rd a House Fire Broke out in North Eastern Pennsylvania. Four kayakers and river guides lost nearly everything. Thankfully only one boat was lost (a Pyranha playboat), but other losses of gear and personal belongings are staggering. Please help Mark, Leigh, Joe, and Amanda recover from this devastating event. They are in need of gear to continue perusing a common passion for the river as well as the guiding profession.

All four victims are employed as river guides/safety boaters on the Lehigh River in North Eastern, Pennsylvania.

If you can't donate gear, please donate what you can monetarilly so this crew can get back up on their feet ASAP!!

Donation Link --> https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=NN8MDRRJTMJBE

Used and extra gear for the summer season is most greatly appreciated and can be sent to Jackie and Brad's house in Lake Harmony at (UPS and FedEx):

100 S. Lake Drive
Lake Harmony, PA 18624

Any donations can be sent to Leigh's parents house at (USPS):

PO Box 193
Canadensis, PA 18325

We cannot thank everyone enough... peace and Love, Mark"

~~Gear Lost/Needed~~

*Boating Gear*
1 Paddle (194-197cm)
2 Drysuits (Medium and Large)
1 Playboat (Medium)
4 Drytops ( 1 Small, 2 Mediums, and 1 Large)
2 Splash Pant (1 Medium, and 1 Large)
8 Sprayskirts (1 Small Tunnel, 5 Medium, 2, Large)
4 Helmets
8 Rashguards (2 Smalls, 4 Mediums, and 2 Large)

This may seem like a large list... but in reality it's merely a partial representation of the true loss.

*Other Gear*
Sunglasses, Snow Pants, Shells, Fleeces, Outdoor Shoes/Sandals, Skis-and all related gear (Tele and Alpine), Snowboards.

*Other Ideas*
WAWA Gift Card

Items will be taken off of the list if the needs are fulfilled. Thank you in advance for the incredible generosity.

House Fire Helper-BOATERS PLEASE HELP!!! | Facebook

bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #2
On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004

bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #3
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Really? Im glad everyone is ok but asking the paddle community to replace thier gear is a little bold.
"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #4
Likes it wet.
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006

Bold? You my friend seem quite selfish. God forbid your house burns down with your entire life inside. Your comment is completely out of place. The outpouring of support has been astounding... so apparently the majority of people in our great boating community disagree with your narrow-minded point of view.

Remember... the river Gods are always listening.
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #5
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Just to reiterate Mike on this... the great lengths at which people have been going to in order to rise up and help them out has been phenomenal. I was not expecting to see anything more then a lot of "glad you are all ok" messages on the Facebook page. The opposite has been true. Almost every post on that wall is from someone offering a piece of gear to the group. Those of us (like myself) who don't have extra gear to offer have stepped up in other ways.

I can understand that you may not feel inclined to help. You don't know them personally, as some of us do. There is nothing wrong with that, and I in-fact felt the same way about other "causes" that have come up on the Buzz. There have been a number of them lately (something about a boater who lost a hand comes to mind). I was moved by the outpouring of support he received here, but not knowing him personally kept me from stepping up and sending my support. I never felt that those efforts were bold or even out of line, and if I had I certainly wouldn't have felt the need to voice such opinions here. Point is... if you don't want to help out, well then don't, but save the negativity for a Saturn Raft thread.
nmalozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #6
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I thought it was kind of bold at first, then I realized that a lot of boaters probably have old but still highly usable ski, kayak, and other outdoor gear laying around waiting to be donated.

It's not like they are asking us to go out and buy new gear for the fire victims, just to donate old gear, what's the big deal?
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #7
Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
Did you just make a comparison to someone losing there hand to someone losing there gear?
jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #8
Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #9
Leadvillian, Colorado
I think he was just comparing someone shaking the tree to help another paddler out

pretty much making a comparison between a cause when you know the beneficiary and when you don't

they both seemed very noble to me, I just wish I had enough cheddar to help anyone out or make a pay phone call for that matter
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #10
all over colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
If i had a bunch of gear layin around id donate as well but i dont i just moved back from the pa to colorado/wyomign area and have boated the lehigh,yough, and a few others up there and its sad that they lost there lively hood and gear to continue thier passion and. i hope all turns out well. If you guys need a place to stay in PA or need a place to chill maybe eat watch a movie or a hot shower i know somepeople up there that would love to help out.

mtnkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote