Old 06-20-2011   #1
Denver, Colorado
Owyhee - Bitch Creek Take Out?

Thinking about the Owyhee for 6/29 - 7/3 and was hoping to take out at bitch creek. We will have a 16' (w/ tongue) raft trailer w/ ok clearance and 26' tires to get down the road. The Western Whitewater book claims you shouldn't do the road w/ a trailer bigger than 12', but I wanted to check here. Any Beta on that take out, the run at these levels or other general info would be appreciated.

royaldouchebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #2
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
If the road is dry, I think you would be fine with 16' trailer. Its just the first few miles out of the canyon that are steep and narrow. It would be slow going and a couple really tight turns. If the road is wet your not getting out of the canyon! When you factor in the the long slow drive out of Birtch cr, I find its easier to bring a motor and mount it to a cat and tow the party to Leslie. I have even heard that you can arrange for a tow out?? On a side note: I don't like birch creek take out. There are tons of puncture weeds and a small area to unload. Im thinking of puttin on on 6/27. Good luck..

idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #3
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
We took a trailer that size out of birch creek on our May 20-22 trip and didn't have any trouble. It was tight and steep coming out of the canyon but we had no trouble (I would make sure your tow vehicle is up for it though). Even given the rough road coming out I would rather do that (if the road is fairly dry) than the long row/tow out to leslie gulch. The take out was busy when we got there, but I didn't notice it being too small, Didn't notice any puncture vines either, but we were loaded and headed out pretty swiftly
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote