Old 08-07-2012   #11
The Bitterroot, Montana
Originally Posted by montuckymonkey
montuckyhuck... Sounds like I should carry the legal papers and my gun. Are they that bad ? I will leave but I will call the cops if they don't. My federal attorney buddy says our laws are not much different then Canada's and landowners and most local police and sheriff's don't know water laws he says camp wherever you want let them write you a ticket go to court and it will be thrown out. I realize he is not in MT and lives in DC but he is very exacting on legal issues..he has to be his job depends on it and I have yet to have him be wrong on a legal matter. I guess I'll find out.
No, folks around here are generally fairly nice but the exceptions are are out there. There are however some legal camping options that I and others have given you beta for. Why don't you use one of those campgrounds instead of causing conflicts between boaters and land owners in a heavily used resource that is greatly valued by the area boating community. Just sounds fairly duechy saying you are going to show up and camp wherever the hell you want, and if anyone tells you otherwise you will call the cops. There are laws and then there is common sense. I value common sense. I am not saying everyone around here is a trigger happy hillbilly (we do have some of those though), what I am saying is don't expect a nice reception when you go waving your "legal papers" in people's faces and telling them your ranger fu•<ing Rick.

montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #12
Kellogg/Newport Beach, Idaifornia
Paddling Since: 2012

No I said my friend told me to camp where ever I want...I'm not trying to imply that I am going to do so but I mearly wanted to know what is the deal when I get there is all sorry if I came accross differently. I am not looking to piss anyone off and surley am not going to do anything screw up a good thing. My biggest questions were wheather or not there are in fact campgrounds along the Blackfoot because when I look on maps I see "parks" but didn't find anything about camping so thank you all for helping me figure this out.

montuckymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #13
Kellogg/Newport Beach, Idaifornia
Paddling Since: 2012

I treat everyone the way I want them to treat me. I also won't shit in my own yard so I'm not going to do so in anyone else's.
montuckymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #14
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
It is critical on the Blackfoot not to piss off the landowners. Paws up has shut down access to most of the riverside land. however as I mentioned they own a major put in that they could shut down if people piss them off too much. Landowners are much more tolerant of rafters if they don't violate their private property rights. Don't be an asshole and hopefully they won't be that to us. The Blackfoot is really not a prime overnight run. Much work has gone on between stakeholders including regulators landowners and recreationalists. Sometimes it's a tenuous group but things seem to be going smooth, let's keep it that way

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote