Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-24-2013   #1
Front Range, Colorado
Outfitting help, left leg keeps falling asleep

My left leg keeps falling asleep every time I get in my kayak. Just got a Burn last year and thought I had the outfitting dialed. Now after about 30 minutes my left leg starts falling asleep. In addition to being painful, I feel like I lose some control when I cannot feel my leg.

Iíve tried taking some of the left hip pad out but it keeps happening. Any suggestions?

iSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013   #2
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Too tight of hip pads would be the first thing I'd have check. Glad you tried that.

Do you have a pinch point at the front of your seat?
Try rolling up a towel and put it under your left thigh. Is that better?

If your butt doesn't contact all of the seat pan, it can put a lot of pressure right on your "sitz bones". Spread your weight out over the entire seat by lifting the front edge of it up....or conversely, the front edge of your seat might be too high, causing a tight spot right behind your knee?

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013   #3
Front Range, Colorado
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to adjust the seat and see if it helps.
Old 05-25-2013   #4
Owenton, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 2008
I had the same problem years ago. My problem was hip pad. My pads were velcroed in so I angled mine up slightly. Took care of it for me.
Terrapin93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #5
Front Range, Colorado
thanks for the suggestions!
Old 05-28-2013   #6
Golden, Colorado
I have the same problem in my Burn. But I've had in in every other boat I've owned as well. I've just resigned myself to stretching me leg ever now and then to get blood flowing. If you find a solution, please post.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #7
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
sometimes the thighbraces cut off circulation if they are not adjusted just right. I had that problem in most of the older boats i had years ago. my legs would go to sleep withing the first 15minutes on the river, and it was definitely downright unpleasant.
the angle your legs are at in front of you is crucial. I like to be sort of 'bowed out' rather then straight up and down. I also have thick legs so the old wavesport and dagger thighbraces really cut into my legs. now my feet go numb much less often, mostly if i cinch myself in too tightly, like when i am poco nervous about the upcoming rapid. kind of a nevous habit. its almost better to be a little loose, and more comfortable, then locked in so tight that you lose circulation after 5 minutes.

two things i take for granted now,( i'm gonna have to apologize for starting the JK bandwagon thing going here but it's true... ) are the bean bag seat pad- 'the happy cheeks' and the simple thigh braces in Jackson boats. not saying it works for everyone but It has done me wonders. any type of seat pad can really help rolling too if one has a shorter torso as well. Some people slide insulite foam under their existing seatpad for a 1/4" lift.
so seat height combined with leg angle changes could help a lot. if all that doesnt work, maybe demo some other brands, to see if another boat feels better. For me the JK Superhero and Superstar are the best fitting and performing boats ive ever had, by lightyears.
one more thing i added , at least in my playboat, is the 'happy seat' thigh float bags. they lift your legs up and diminish the fatigue of hold your legs up in the thigh braces. its awesome. but it makes it harder to get out your boat , definitely a bit of a hazard. hope that input helps. good luck!
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #8
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I'd nominate the hip pads first, particularly the leading edges. I'll attempt to draw. These are all from directly above, nose to the top:

| | - this is likely how your hip pads look

\ / - this is likely how your legs look in the kayak

So if you can shave a little out of the pads at the front of them, they will have less pinch on your angled leg.

Another trick is to pull the pads up a little once you get seated. This will move most of their force to above your hip, where it can counter rotational force.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #9
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
+1 for hip pads.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #10
Front Range, Colorado
All right, here is the solution that worked for me.

All right, here is the solution that worked for me.

I shaved a little off of the front of the left hip pad. I also moved the left foot peg forward one notch. I also loosened up the back band so it was not so tight. End result was that it worked and my left leg stopped falling asleep. More control and more comfort by loosening up the fitting a little. Go figure...