Old 12-19-2003   #1
Socratic Philosopher
Outdoor worthy digital camera

Alot of cool pics are posted. Several are high quality photos. What kind of camera equipment are some of you using on the river?

If digital, what kind? Cost? Durability? I am looking for advice on a digital camera that is outdoor worthy, decent quality pictures, and affordable. This may not even exist, but it is worth a try. Which ones have you found to hold up to the rigors of the outdoors/river and which have you found to be boners.

I currently use an inexpensive, older webcam type, digital camera (Intel 640x480). It takes pictures OK if the subject is within 6-10 feet of the lens. It's durable, but it takes crappy pictures. Any suggestions?

Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder. I'm an over forty victim of fate.
el gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003   #2
For $250-$300, you can get a pretty cool camera. 3 megapixels, 3x zoom, 640-480 video. Great pictures near and far. The video option is neat and useful for kayaking.

I think most of these cameras have a $100 waterproof case you can buy. The $100 seems a bit expensive. I think these are designed for taking pictures underwater.

The cannon A70 is one of these, but I bet there are others.

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003   #3
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

I've got a Kodak LS420. I like it a lot, very small X3 zoom, plus qicktime video, but it's only water resistant. I carry it in a small peli case.

Smoething else new:
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003   #4
Systems & Process Design, Colorado
I have a 5MP Cannon Powershot and love it. I also have a water proof / shock proof case for it that has all of the controls on the outside. The case fits perfectly into my pfd. I can run a rapid... eddy out... and begin shooting... no futzing around. The only down side to my setup is the camera eats batteries pretty quickly.
alexhenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003   #5
I have a Minolta Dimage 7i. Its 5megapixel digital w and 8X optical zoom. It takes beautifull shots (and i dont even really know how to shoot, i just put it in auto mode) and is a manageable size..I just stick it in a peli-case, but this does mean a bit of fumbling around...getting out of the boat, getting the case out, drying hands etc... I dont really mind, because I feel like if a drop is worth shooting, we'll all probably be scouting anyhow. I chose this camera over other similar 5mps because it has a greater zoom than most.

Several higher quality digital waterproof cameras do exist (pentax etc...). Seach for camera review websites to get all the info.

People on boatertalk generally have alot of feedback on cameras as well.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003   #6
Has anyone used the Sony DSCU60, or is 2.0 MP no good?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003   #7
Tyler take a look at the review below, I was looking at the dscu60 as well. Whats cool is that instead of reading some dude's opinion, they have posted actual pictures taken with it. It looks hard to beat as a "cheap' water camera.
Mysterious_Jho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003   #8
Web Developer/Programmer
outdoor digicam

Well, I'm much more a photographer than a boater, so I shoot with a Nikon D-100. For a point and shoot digital I would go with canon S or A series. Pick one that fits your price. I used a lot( i worked at wolf camera for a while ) of digital cameras and I really like the color and sharpness on the canon. Plus they are pretty solid. It is just opinion however like buying kodak vs. fuji film. So unless you want to photoshop all of your images I suggest you try a few cameras yourself to see what you like. Finally buy it at wolf/ritz and get the service plan and you can smash it all you want they will fix it.
Damn I Look Good.
l-dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003   #9
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Those waterproof cases actually cost $200 -$250. I actually have one for a pentax 330rs. It also works on the 330, 430 and 430 rs which are 3 and 4 megapixel cameras, I upgraded digital cameras and sold my pentax but still have the case that I will sell for $75. Email me if you're interested. You can get the camera at any camera shop or on ebay. The case is waterproof to 120ft. Obviously good enough for kayaking.
Check out the case on the web "pentax waterproof camera housing"

Don I got my Stick from Jim this week. It is AMAZING!!!
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003   #10
Socratic Philosopher

That Ricoh ( ) looks like it hits all the specs. Is Ricoh a good brand/ optics? Has anyone had experience with Ricoh equipment? Does anyone know of a shop selling them in the US?

l-dot, thanks for the tip on Wolf, I'd never been in their shop. They didn't carry much dustproof/waterproof equipment (digital anyhow). They had one for diving (100+ meters or something like that...), but the total size of the unit was rather large and bulky.

Thanks to all for the info... keep it coming. I'm looking into the cameras you use. I am really at a loss when it comes to this subject.

Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder. I'm an over forty victim of fate.
el gordo is offline   Reply With Quote