Old 02-07-2005   #1
Moab, Utah
OT: Telluride area questions

I will be in Telluride for a 3 or 4 day w/e to attend a wedding in June, and was wondering if someone local can advise me on the following. My wife and I have never been, so we have no idea what the area holds (other than CRCII river descriptions).

1) Is the Sawpit run on the San Mig run frequently by locals? I will be there on Friday afternoon, and all day Sunday, and was wondering if I have a good chance to hook up with someone to boat with by just showing up at the put in, similar to Shoshone or the Upper Eagle here in my area.

2) Any suggestions for a local rafting outfitter? One idea my wife had was to invite a group of our friends on a raft trip Sunday after the wedding, with myself following along as the safety kayaker. Most have been rafting in Browns Canyon, so a CL III trip would be appropriate.

3) Any local runs suggested for my wife to join me on? She is a decent CL III boater, and runs Shoshone with me regularly. Are some of the downstream stretches of the San Mig easier than Sawpit?

4) Any close free or cheap camping? We will be at the wedding hotel on Friday and Saturday, but if we stay longer we would like to camp in the area.

Thanks in advance.

pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #2
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
there is a little more around than the book notes, upper dolores above rico is pretty sick, and a couple others, but for class 3 you should go for the miguel. it is much more continuous than sho-sho though. call me if you want, i live in the area--steven 970 596 1400
steven is offline   Reply With Quote