Old 07-01-2004   #11
I'm going to have to caution folks on the patella graft (sorry I chose not to do it twice!), I've been told by the docs (yes thats plural) that you run a higher risk of arthritis in the knee you pull the patella from. If you do the hammy, get the doc to pull it from your other leg, this will help considerably with the rehab and pain. The only downside is you'll have more scars (which I could care less about). Don't be fooled with any choice, the rehab (physically and mentally) is going to suck! Good luck!

Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004   #12
i am eight weeks out of ACL surgery with a hammy graft. my doctor is the equivalent to steadman, but in utah...he does tons of these surgerys. he almost always uses hamstrings. my advice, go with the graft that your doctor does best. tell your buddy good luck and to start rehab before the surgery- spining, streching, strengthing, whatever he can tolerate.

kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004   #13
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Who cares. . .
Modern medicine is great. You don't even really need your ACL if you can properly train and strengthen the surrounding muscles. Fortunately most surgical techniques make this a relatively easy procedure so most with health insurance opt for surgery.

Just get a reputable doctor, let them make the decision based on a professional analysis, and then make sure you get on a good physical therapy program. Sheesh!!!
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004   #14
pnw, Washington
Thanks for all the great info and I appreciate it. I disagree with not having the surgery. Have seen some people who didnt have it and in the long term they had other tissue damage from the 'extra' movement. I am glad I had mine but the rehab is a bitch. Thanks again.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004   #15
Power Forecaster
Send a message via MSN to ringer
Just did a number on my knee a week and a half ago...waiting for the MRI to totally confirm the ACL. I'm getting tons of names of orthos to use, but my one question is (assuming the worst): how restrictive is it to paddle with a torn ACL. Does one go and do the rehab and everything else before getting back in a boat?

I'm dying over here not being able to paddle...or much else for that matter!!!

ringer is offline   Reply With Quote