Old 01-25-2015   #11
Around 500 is the minimum I would go up there for.............

David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015   #12
Although the same river, these two sections have very different optimum flows.

500 is a good low flow for Elevenmile, and that same 500 is slightly pushy for Cheeseman. Elevenmile would be great with 800, and that is probably too much for most of the Cheeseman rapids.

That said, Cheeseman is a woody mess right now, so 1200cfs might help flush out the wood. Maybe we can start with a high water release, and then drop it down over the course of draining.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #13
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Ian, any word when they will start draining? I think I recently read in the Chaffee County Times June 1st, but I could be making that up.
NYourd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Latest from Denver Water is that they will start draining antero starting in June and hoping to wrap up in early August.

Based on back of the envelope math, draining should release ~75-125 additional cfs. Not a whole lot of extra flow, but on top of runoff it might be enough extra juice to get cheeseman or elevenmile good.

As the time gets closer, my plan is to have conversations with DW to ask them to keep in mind optimal boating flows and see if they are willing to potentially bump up releases to help get good flows for at least a period of time.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #15
All over, Colorado
We were in there at the end of last summer, Holy crap there was a lot of wood.
That said, could be a fun clean out mission. Chainsaws and come alongs would definitely be needed. We were thinking hike down from Madacat Road and camp/stage at the fire ring on river left in the middle of the run. I'd imagine it would take a pretty burly crew quite a few days to clean it up. If anyone's interested, hit me up I'd be happy to join, just need to put some motivation to put on the stokey pants. -Shannon
shannon s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Ran Eleven Mile at 315 last year and still had a great time but that was about the lowest I'd want to bother with it. Even that low we had to skip the V's because they looked like 6's. We had to get out for one log and gorilla armed over another. They were big logs and would take a chainsaw to get out. Both would have been safe to paddle over and not too pushy to be scary with another 50-100 cfs. More than that and you'd probably have to get out to walk around both for fear of being flushed into the branches accidentally.
Whitewater Map American Whitewater river info you can use.
pilom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #17
river zen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Ian, How do you think this will affect releases from the Roberts Tunnel this summer?
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #18
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Hard to say how drainage will impact the tunnel. Simple answer is that an extra 120 cfs from the south platte is 120 cfs less needed from the north fork, so my guess is that tunnel flows would be slightly less than otherwise needed in June/July.

I talked to DW about the tunnel flows for the season... I think we will still need tunnel flows in late july and aug, when prime bailey after runoff season is in play. The DW reservoirs are pretty full, which means we have decent supply on the east slope. DW noted that they may turn on the tunnel before runoff hits is things stay dry and water demand goes up. More likely scenario is the tunnel won't turn on til later in the season. With the below avg snowpack we are having this year, my guess is a decent season on the north fork.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote