Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-07-2013   #11
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I'll just make the film on my own time and money since I'll be hanging around the area anyway. Appreciate all the leads on people to talk to. If anyone has other boaters that might be interesting to interview, please send their contact info my way.

Originally Posted by FastFXR View Post
I'm sure you've tried all the preservation societies, so I won't suggest that. IMHO, if I'm dropping bank on some new gear, it's gonna be for MY broke a$$. Good luck tho--what kind of boat and logistics are you considering for 25 days self-supported?
I'll be paddling the Dagger Katana and will have a big resupply cache at Phantom Ranch that I will have hiked in before the trip. It'll definitely be a full load...

nessles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #12
Flagstaff, Arizona
Right on Jmac! How did those guys get around this? Do you know how to contact John Grace? This could be very cool and be the dawn of a whole host of do-it-yourself GC films! That would be very cool! Yours, tom

Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #13
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Interesting that they can differentiate between books, writing, photography, painting or any other forms of material produced on a Grand trip.

Seems to me they are all art forms and they should not be able to isolate one from another. I could see how this originated with the thought that filming would generate from a production crew that could be disruptive to other peoples enjoyment and the environment. But now with the boom of first person perspective cameras like go-pro, etc this seems unrealistic and penalizes one form of speech over another. I imagine many a writer, painter and photographer on a private permit have profited from material produce. Wondering if this is what allowed the other solo trip film to be produced.
"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #14
Flagstaff, Arizona
Hi -K-, good question and good observation about free speech! I could not have written the books I have about Grand Canyon without participation on do-it-yourself public river trips. But we couldn't film. Why is that. Your point about everyone having a small camera now is a good one, and clearly, no stage props or set crew is required, so adverse impacts to resources are not an issue (or shouldn't be...). It's an exciting time to be a boating filmmaker. Here's to looking forward to seeing what the creative folks among us do! All the best, tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #15
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
Right on Jmac! How did those guys get around this? Do you know how to contact John Grace? This could be very cool and be the dawn of a whole host of do-it-yourself GC films! That would be very cool! Yours, tom
I don't know John personally but have been inspired by his paddling videos for many years. He helped create the very popular LVM series. Try: info@amongstit.com to inquire about the Canyon video.
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #16
Meridian, Idahoer
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I generally only fund my own river trips. so your on your own for my point of view. I have done a number of speed runs. Multiple MFS, Selway, and main trips in 2 days 1 nite. My main motivation comes from the ease of logistics. A permit can open and I can be ready to respond within 24 hours. Also the whole sneaking on rivers thing. You just can't do that kind of stuff in a raft. 2 or 3 kayakers can put on and run a river and nobody would know they are even on the river. Especially if your out the next day. Sneaking a mfs run during prime time gets the blood pumping. Just saying..
Wow man, that is awesome!

To the OP: When you pick up supplies at Phantom, do you ship out 12 days of shit too?
D-Sieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #17
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
I think you should make a film and post it to the web like you have stated above.
I would like to see quality interviews about why people like the canyon so much. That is an easy question to answer.

2. The idea of kick starter is fascinating to me. I look at the web site an think alright what formula can I use to successfully get people to pay me for my passion?
Take the Solo GC Guide book kickstarter for example.
a. Low budget.
b. Short film.
c. Good qualifications. 7 solo trips!
d. $60 gets you the product. The guide book. Something permeant for the coffee table.

I would be interested to see what your kick starter page would look like? So you put some gopro footage together for a film class a few years ago of the James River and got almost 800 view on your film. There is not a strong connection to grand canyon river runners, or soloing there. You also have authors like Tom Martin who have done 3 back to back 30 day trips in the winter! The point is we need to know your grand canyon story. And maybe this trip will be just that for you.

Good luck with the trip and makes sure to let use buzzards know how it goes for you.

buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote