Old 02-22-2008   #21
Show Low, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1977
Don't rule out AZ

Check out the Show Low/Pinetop area, it's 50 minutes to the Salt river an hour to Sunrise Ski resort. We are half way between the Sea of Cortez and the Colorado Rockies. There is lots of land from high dollar to dirt cheep and the majority of the folks around here are rednecks or tweekers, we could use a few more boaters. This place will never turn into another Sedona/Moab although both those places were great back when I lived in them.

quetzaquatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #22
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Durango is still an amazing place to live- ten minutes to any outdoor rec you want. You're pretty much on with your description- the implants who came to "get away from it all" pretty much stay away from it all in their fancy condos- you just have to deal with them at downtown restaurants and on the roads with their SUVs. The rest of us are down to earth, friendly, and welcoming to anyone who loves their outdoor hobbies. At last that's my idealistic view.

Originally Posted by bonedoc View Post
Wow, you guys are really buzz-killing Durango!

My impressions, albiet very superficial and made over not more than 3 days, was that
-Missoula was some working class, some wildlife biology dropout types, some college trustafarians, great outdoor stuff; but housing was not as inexpensive as I would have guessed, and as lhowemt said - alot of grey days in winter and spring (actually as many grey days as Portland says the almanac)
-Durango seemed to have much more of a small town feel (No shopping mall, very few big-box stores,etc), but more chic-type restaurants, crystal-vortex types, and 50+ y/o retirees from Texas and Cali, and a relatively smaller working class base.

Am I way off? I really want to like Durango, but am a bit worried its a Sedona/Moab/Bend/Boulder waiting to happen. Are there still alot of normal folks there? Regular working slobs like myself who like to hang it out on the weekend occasionally, or mostly I-am-way-to-rad-to-paddle-and-climb-with-you types?

Sorry for the ramble, just hard to make good judgements of places in a couple of days.

TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #23
Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I have to plug Durango (the namesake of the worst SUV ever produced) Durango, while suffering growing pains of its own is still an awesome place to live. Everything you mentioned and more to do, evolving cultural scene, and we could always use more doc's here.

I have a really nice house I am building right on the Florida river, five miles to the new hospital that is fore sale too.

Good luck!

ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote