Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-17-2008   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0000
opinions about the Gross Resevoir expansion project

I am a student from the Watershed school in boulder working on a project researching the opinions of recreational stakeholders in the Gross reservoir expansion project. Denver Water's plan is to expand Gross reservoir by three times its current size. Most of the water to fill the dam will be pumped from the West side of the divide and stored in the expanded reservoir. So what would be helpful for me to know is:
1. What is your general opinion on this proposal?
2. Are there recreational water rights on South Boulder Creek?
3. What alternatives do you think could be possible?
4. How do you think it will affect the economy? (does kayaking South Boulder Creek have an affect on the economy?)
muchas gracicas

wade@watershed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #2
SE, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1991
You may want to go to FERC.gov website and use their library feature and look up all the public comments on the proposed changes. I believe Gross is p-2035.

smallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #3
My answers:

1) I'm not a fan of dams and reservoirs, but it's reality and being able to kayak a big river isn't as important as people's water needs. If they put more water in SBC where we can kayak it for a longer season, that's not the worst thing.

2) There are only a few places where there are recreational water rights and those are at the play parks. So, there are no water rights for recreation in SBC, but we certainly have the right to kayak in SBC where there is water.

3) Alternatives to sending more water from the Western Slope to the front range? The main alternative is to get people to move from the Front Range to the Western Slope. I think a bunch of that water is also slated for Farmers. Farmers generally use water very wastefully. But, proposing that farmers use less water is political suicide.

4) Kayaking SBC doesn't impact the economy one bit. Not many people kayak it and they can kayak somewhere else.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #4
I think it sucks, why can't they dig a big hole out on the prairie to store the water in, somewhat like Chatsfield or Cherry Creek, why do they have to flood multiple canyons? Plus I thought I heard concerns from some engineers that extending the existing dam might not be able to be done safely..
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
One other thing - no one is allowed to swim in the reservoir. Why spend a lot of money to remove waterways that are open to recreation only to close the resulting body of water to recreation?
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #6
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Does anyone know if the expansion will affect USB?
Vaya Con Rios!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #7
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by smallie View Post
You may want to go to FERC.gov website and use their library feature and look up all the public comments on the proposed changes. I believe Gross is p-2035.
I looked at the FERC site and saw only that the application had been submitted. Smallie, do you know if comments have been accepted already?
Vaya Con Rios!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #8
Gross Res?

Hi Mr. Wade,

I have a number of opinions. I live on the western side where the water comes from . Let say on the Fraser river. WE are fighting Denver water and now Ft. Collins and Greeley water becuase they want to do the same thing. See "Windy Gap EIS" Any more water that is taken from the upper Colorado water shed is going to KILL the river system. As of now, Algea is grow at 9000 ft. the fish are being choked out of the rivers, Wetlands are being drained, which means less wildlife. Farmers have less water to irrigate.

(This means less food/more $$$)And least of all, less water to boat in!!!!!
Here is my suggestion....

Not one meeting talks about conservation efforts by the population. You guys want 30% more water for growth. How about conserving 30% more! We can do it when you take all of our water so I figure you can do it as well. Pay attention people!

Thanks and good luck!
rafterbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #9
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
^ i agree completely.

why do the western slope rivers need to be pumped over the mountain just so folks in Greely can have extra green lawns?

I think the funniest thing about the entire Western Slope diversion complex is the "movers and shakers" on the Front Range come up all the crazy, grand ideas for diversions, hundreds of new and different proposals every year, but somehow, in all of those proposals over the past forty years, not once has there been a proposal that says: "Stop watering your lawn so much". Or never one that says "Let's NOT build a bunch of new golf courses".

Its always take, take, take, never a "let's see what we can do by ourselves."
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #10
I am against expanding Gross Res and any other water pumping schemes but I believe that if you look at the numbers some 75% of the water in CO is used for agriculture, another 15-20% for commercial use and residential use is somewhere around 5-10%. I also wish Denver and everyone else would just institute drought condition water regulations as the norm however I don't know how much this actually helps. At least with the building downturn maybe growth will return to a sustainable pace compared to the level of the last 10 years.

I would like to see a push by the State to get farmers to focus on drought resistant crops, it is amazing how much corn is being grown in the Greely area in the last couple years for ethanol. That alone has to be sucking up the water. It would be nice if the water guys got rid of the "If you don't use it you loose it" mentality with water for irrigation as well. Everyone, residential, agri or commercial users should all be asked to take a look at what and how they are doing things to see if there are ways to save.

cma is offline   Reply With Quote