Old 06-24-2004   #21
Lawyer Scum
I've padled with a face mask for 12 years. It's saved me from countless blows to the face. I've never had it catch and I've been pounded and bruised over every type of river feature. In my mind, if you are doing anything beyond park and play, having your temples covered and your head protected from all sides just makes sense. If your balancing risk, I'd take the limited risk of a snag on the helmet over the likelyhood of smackin my face on a rock and getting knocked senseless in the middle of a swim any day.

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004   #22
my name is redbeard and I like to boat with a facemask.

I constantly have this questioned by friends and passersby, but I believe it is a boon. I like it just because, while I'm not "creeking" I do boat some really shallow water, with really sharp rocks, and I don't really need the extra stitches, let alone any reconstructive surgery. I tuck like hell when I flip, and stay there until I'm ready to go back topside. luckily my vest is high and thick, and my helmet sturdy, I have taken rocks on both, but just in case, I like not having to worry overly about whether my face is extra vulnerable.

I do like the idea of a half face mask tho, I can see how the full lower than the chin bar is a hazard, but still one I'll risk.

redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004   #23
Boulder, Colorado
Unforseen pluses and minuses of face masks...

There are some unobvious pluses and minuses of having a face mask

First the benifits:

A face mask can:

- act as a nose plug holder when you aren't using your nose plug
- you can hold more "stuff" when using your helmet as a bucket to carry things
- When you wipe out the entire group of people waiting in the eddy at the park as you try to slide into line, they will be more understanding since you are obvousily not a park and play boater type.
- And for when you have the few who don't understand (see above), it makes it just that much harder for them to punch you in the nose

Of course with the many advantages there are some downsides

- Just try to spit or blow your nose.
- getting a drink of water from a bottle
- Ever see the movie "The Jerk" ? -- just remember the look of Carl Reiner's eyes
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004   #24
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Lyle, if you read this, do you mind telling me which helment from sweets you have? I'm sorry to hear of your experience, and I'm glad your helment protected you.
jlsmtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004   #25
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
I wear a facemask and I'm just a Class III-IV pussy.

My favorite part is when I spit on the facemask, and then it dangles and drops onto my PFD.

Thank you.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004   #26
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Has anyone used one of those Rawlings baseball helmet facemasks you can get at Wal-Mart for $8? They seem pretty stout and for a lot less. I also like the fact that they cover a good portion of the face without a cross bar between the eyes.

I know, I hate to promote Wal-mart, but I can't see paying $30+ for a face mask. I will probaby try to fit one on a full coverage helmet when I get the chance.

rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote