Old 03-26-2008   #1
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Open canoe questions

Hey all I've been on the river a while and got started with the open canoe thing last season. I've had a blast with it but can not get the roll down. None of my friends canoe and teaching myself isn't working. Any tips or suggestions of how to roll or places to go for instruction would be greatly appreciated.

charginsarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #2
Learn to roll a C-1 first. If you can't find a C-1, learn to kayak roll first.

Lots of video's on YouTube; a few OC1, but more C1.

I could connect you with boaters who do roll OC1 or C1.

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #3
try over at - C1 B1! search on rolling or ask, tons of good info. Any pool sesions in your area? good luck

aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
rolling an open boat

hey man, when i was learning to paddle canoe i didn't have a roll for about three seasons. i think that it is very important to learn how not to flip first, and i worked at a canoe school during some of that time. there is a rolling video from kent ford about canoes. i think it might be a practice drill video. i'll try to find mine and let you know. i would try to explain it but it would take a couple of pages, and a few days at my typing pace. i'd be happy to talk with you about it if you want. rolling an open boat is just a lot slower than say a c-1. you can learn just fine in an open boat, that is what i learned in. it makes you develop good form from the start, otherwise you won't get back up. what boat are you paddling?
coloradopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #5
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Where do you live? Are you near fort Collins? If you come up here I'll show you how to roll a OC-1.

GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #6
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I have a buddy that could teach you to roll a canoe. Most of it has to do with the set up and brace.
tboe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #7
Make sure that your outfitting will let water pass from side to side. I have one boat that has a solid wall of foam and it is literally impossible to roll. make sure that you have either holes "scrubbers" under the pillar that let water flow or a saddle that is suspended from the thwarts.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #8
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by tboe101 View Post
I have a buddy that could teach you to roll a canoe. Most of it has to do with the set up and brace.
Actually it is the hip snap. Get your boat in a pool. Get on the side of the pool and practice snapping your hips, rolling your boat.
To set up, when upside down, just crouch forward paddle to the bow.
then move your torso 90 degrees to the hull, your face down obviously. You can half roll the boat with your hips, in a c-1 you can roll without a paddle, roll the OC1 halfway with your hips. Now, remember this or you will cream your arms. Your arms need to be in a position like you are doing a push-up off of the paddle. sweep the paddle forward towards the bow blade angled up to stay on the surface while completing the hip snap. Your nose should "scrape" the gunwales. Keeping your body tight to the gunwales allows the boat to roll like a log without branches, if you don't do this you are like a log with a big branch sticking out (harder to roll this way). Make sure you sweep your head to the opposite side of the boat before sitting up.The roll is a 3 part move that should look like one move.
1.) set up
2.)hip snap
3.)low brace

Learning the role will also develop a strong low brace.
Also, keep in mind that verticality of your paddle shaft is of utmost importance to minimize correction for forward momentum. The power stroke is by far one of the hardest to master in a C boat. Once you learn the art, you should be able to do everything with your hips and a power stroke.
Also, builsd an electric bilge pump or your kayaker buddies will get pissed at you on the Class 4s, lol.
Good Luck

Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote