Old 10-07-2009   #1
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
One Day in Glenwood Springs What to Do?

Friday, we are going to be heading through Glenwood on route to a Westwater trip on Saturday, and was wondering if anyone has some recommendations on what we should run. There will be a couple of kayakers and a raft. Looks like Shoshone is at a decent flow, but how much of an ordeal is running laps on this with a raft? How about running to No Name access to get a few more miles. CRC makes it sound like it is a pain in the ass to get the raft out of the water there. But it sounds like the next float to Two Rivers is pretty flat, and would be worth the effort to get out at No Name.

So can someone please give us some advice. How is Barrel Springs at 1570? Would it be suicide for someone whose most difficult run on a raft would be Royal Gorge at 700? How about kayaking Barrel at 1570?

Thanks for any info.

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Just drove back from WW last night. I am confused by the Barrel reading based on what I saw.

It did not seem to be running at 1570, well there is some water going through it but it is super low, seems all the flow is coming out of the power plant at the Shoshone put in. Maybe it was just the after affects of Westwater and I am hallucinating again. Running laps with a raft on Shoshone would not be bad if you have a trailer you can leave it rigged on for the shuttle.

I know the stuff below Shoshone take out is mellow water, cannot speak to the raft loading at No Name.

Westwater in October rocks have fun.

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Subtract about 1000 cfs from the shosho reading to get what is flowing in barrel. The power plant takes 1000 cfs out at the dam above barrel, and puts it back into the river just above the shosho put in.

Barrel is probably super low, and regarless of flow, way more difficult than the gorge at low flow.

Shoshone is easy to lap. For rafts it depends on your raft and shuttle rig. If you have a trailer and don't need to rig it down, you can run laps super easy. If you need to rig down, or deflate the raft to get it back up, it would likely be a pain.

Even a single run down shoshone and a hike around grizzly creek or hanging lake would make a nice day. Hanging lake is a cool hike if you have never done it and its right there at the exit at the top of barrel springs.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #4
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I think the power plant takes about 800 CFS off of the barrel springs flow. I don't believe the gauge is accurate for BS. So just take shoshone - about 800. So maybe 700 or so. I'm thinking you shouldn't take the raft down it, but I'd help with the throw bags at the bottom if you wanted to give'r .
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #5
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The Local Says...

I just drove through the canyon on Sunday. I don't think there is anyway to run Barrel in a mini-me right now. I wouldn't even try to take a kayak through it. Keep in mind I have never kayaked and don't exactly know how low is too low. It was pretty boney.

The Sho seems pretty decent. I ran it as a raft guide all summer the lowest I ran it was 1200 and it was still ok. There aren't any good rapids below Grizzly Creek till the man made wave.

If you would like to try taking out at No Name give Glenwood Canyon Rafting or Glenwood Canyon Resorts (same people) a call to see if you can take out at their headquarters. That would be the only easy/legal way to take out at No Name.

Things other than rafting to do in the area: [Click the Independence Pass and Maroon Bells headings for links]

Independence Pass- a fantastic way to get from Frisco to Glenwood. I grew up in Carbondale and typically drive this to and from school to avoid trafic and I-70 idiots. Call CDOT to make sure it is still open. And be cautious about taking a trailer up there. There are a few sections of one lane.

•Marble- Small town about 45min-1hr up HWY133 (via HWY82). If you have a decent vehicle drive up to the Crystal Mill. I've seen many Subaru up there. If you have a better 4x4 vehicle do the Lead King Loop that includes the mill. Or just go up to Beaver Lake and take one of their town provided canoes out.

•Aspen- People watch and let the women (if any) shop at all the fancy stores. You should be able to take the gondola up to the top of Aspen Mountain.

Maroon Bells- One of the most photographed peeks in North America. Absolutely gorgeous this time of year. Just go to the base of Aspen Highlands and catch the tour bus.

•Glenwood Springs- There is the Adventure Park. Hanging Lake is a short, high elevation gain hike with awesome views. While I have never done the Grizzly Creek hike I hear it is beautiful.

Well those are the best things I can think of doing for the day in the Glenwood area. Don't hesitate to ask for other suggestions in the area as I was born and still reside there while not at college.
tmaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #6
Lakewood, Colorado
That coaster at the amusement park is a kick in the ass! You have to ride double to get the best ride.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #7
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
Glenwood Caverns and the Hot Springs.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #8
Taking a paddle boat out in the big eddy at no name would not be to bad. there are a few fun waves. An oar frame would suck. The carry is very short and steep but the trail is narrow. Just head down stream as far as you can before the bike trail starts.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #9
No seas pendejo
Bonedale, Ra'do
Paddling Since: Nam
Send a message via AIM to Uncle B
Forget Glenwood, check out New Castle they have the coldest beer in the west, then venture to Silt to see the naked rock man, and finally finish the tour in Rifle at the Super Walmart, its huge!
salvation is in the mind, be mindful at all times
J. Kerouac
Uncle B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #10
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by peterB View Post
Taking a paddle boat out in the big eddy at no name would not be to bad. there are a few fun waves. An oar frame would suck. The carry is very short and steep but the trail is narrow. Just head down stream as far as you can before the bike trail starts.

Is there fun waves even at this level? Is it easy to know where to take out? I have never been on this stretch. Is No Name have a big sign that says No Name?

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote