Old 10-20-2010   #1
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 08
On Good Dogs and Big Rivers

Every good boatman (or boatwoman of course) needs a right-hand man. Your very own Sundance kid. Robin. Doc Sarvis. Whatever.

I am speaking of a river dog. Mine have accompanied me everywhere, from my lonely semi-homeless nights as a rookie on the Arkansas to ethereal slot canyons behind the La Sals. We endured the monotony of front range winters together, and the freedom of BLM wandering.

Now my call for help:

Other than rowing rivers, my passion is rescuing dogs. Between 3 and 4 million are killed in this country every year simply because there are not enough homes to go around. So please, if you have ever considered bringing a 4 legged boating friend into your life, check out your local shelter.

The most rewarding thing about rescuing a dog from certain city-shelter death is the mutual love, companionship, and adventure you can share together. Sleeping on your boat with your dog at your side is priceless.

If you happen to live on/near the front range and have been thinking about a river dog, check out Hope for Animals. This is a nonprofit group out of Georgetown/Evergreen that I volunteer for. We are a network of foster homes and boarding kennels who integrate dogs, who have been pulled from city shelters before they are killed, into our own homes for a time to get them accustomed to family life. Here is our website with a listing of our current adoptable critters. We are in desperate need of foster/adoptive homes, being filled to capacity in this crappy economy.

Hope For Animals - Clear Creek Rescue (formerly CCCARL): Animal rescue

Thanks for reading my ode to real river life (and my canine cohorts),

Kate C

PS Sorry this was kind of off-topic...but it is fall now and therefore there are less pressing high water discussions occuring...and if anyone would like to share the story of how they met their canine/s, I for one would love to hear it!

just because it's diet don't mean it's good for you!
junkshowriverchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #2
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I met my shelter dog when he was 6 weeks old when my wife brought him home. He is 12+ years old now and been boating all his life. Some pics of his likely last river trips this summer (salmon and owyhee). He goes to work with me every day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6130046.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	3016   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6140080.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	3017  

Name:	P6150199.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	3018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rankins (66).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	3019  

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #3
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
I am trying to rehome my Chocolate Lab Puppy right now if anyone is interested.

10 Months old! She's an absolute sucker for the water and will be a very large lab.
Currently up on shots and house broke, I'd really like to keep her but she is too energetic and continues to knock my 2 year old nephew over...

If anyone is looking for a new river companion send me a PM!
This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #4
Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
My story is a little different....a stray adopted me! Sparky was wandering the streets of south, central Phoenix a week before Chrismas two years ago. Night shift rescued him and he hung around the shop for a while. He is an all white, deaf, American Bulldog. No one at work could take him home. I was livin' in a van down by the river and didn't think I had room for him. Couldn't leave him at the office over the holiiday weekend so he came home with me. He must have liked it, he decided to stay. He is a great river dog. As 'chill' a personality as I have met in any species. I am blessed to have had him choose me to be his best friend. He too goes to work with me and most everywhere else too.
Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #5
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Well so this is a very recent story, but there is this river chick I met in my Anat class last year. She has spent this last year learning my soul and decided that I need a river mutt! So she found this dog on I believe that site and dragged me along to meet him, and it was love... Now he is sitting peacefully next to me. All I need to know now is if he loves the river so the name Kirshbom can stand true, or maybe if he hates the river the name could still stand because really who likes swimming that rapid! If it weren't for that great lady this great dog would have been gassed today.
Wack-Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #6
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
2 1/2 weeks after I sprung him from Colorado Malamute Rescue

As you can see, it was a rough transition
MountainMedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010   #7
C. Springs, Colorado
Here is a shot of our dog on her second river trip. We rescued her last year from the local pound. Increadible thing you are doing, Kate. Keep up the good work. Our furry friends need good people like you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010 pictures 162.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	639.3 KB
ID:	3025  
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010   #8
Louisville, Colorado
My 11 y.o. mutt, adopted 10 years ago from Laramie WY shelter during his last days. He is making sure he isn't left behind. He and his sister, a Boulder pound pup adopted 12 years ago, enjoying the WY wildlife watching.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dog.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	3026   Click image for larger version

Name:	river budies.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	3027  

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010   #9
up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
First of all, cheers to you for having a huge heart for our hairy river buddies. Secondly your dog looks alot like mine as well as your boat, when I saw your profile pic I thought maybe you stole it from me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	772.7 KB
ID:	3028  
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010   #10
up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
The boarder collie mix I rescued from a drunk lady down the road when he was a pup. The pit mix was rescued by a friend.
Chillin' after a good swim!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	729.9 KB
ID:	3029  

CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote

dog, real life, rescued