Old 08-12-2008   #11
pnw, Washington
It was on or is being repeated this morning on the USA network. I have the DVR recording it now.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #12
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Did anybody watch the K1 finals today? Pretty good coverage I went home for lunch to watch the DVR recording. Awesome paddling. The guy from Togo is my new favorite paddler. He was so stoked at the end of his run he snapped his paddle in half on his boat and then in the post race interview he said he wanted to go paddling again right away.

It is funny that Slalom is not more popular in recreational paddling circles. For the last month Scott Shipley has been living in Salida while his house in Lyons is finished and I was paddling with him regularly on the gates in Salida. In fact a group of paddlers from here started going out and chopping wood.

It is a great workout, anyone who can paddle a little can do it unlike playboating or creeking and it improves you skills way more than playboating does.

Slalom is cool...yeah I said it.

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #13
pnw, Washington
It was good coverage. That guy was hilarous. I think they said there were 17,000 people there to watch. Amazing.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #14
Below is some info straight from Kent Ford and Lamar Sims who are the public address announcers for the games. Beijing is 14 hours ahead of Denver, so to watch the remaining C2 and Women's Kayak events live you need to be up starting Wed. at 2:40 a.m. for the heats and Thursday at 1:00 a.m. for the finals. A separate post from Joe Jacobi talks about what they've named the rapids - a Chinese food theme: Stir Fry for the drop with the big hole, with other possibilities including Green Tea, Sweet & Sour, Fortune Cookie, and The Noodle.

Kent and Lamar's comments:
Here are a few observations on the upcoming Olympic event:
First the schedule is a bit strange, since [men's] kayak is generally the premiere class it is odd to have it on the first two days of competition (along with C-1). But here, the China team has the best medal chances in C-2 and K-1W, so they have become the second categories, ie Wednesday and Thursday in China. Both of those china boats have plausible medal potential: Hu/ Shu and Li Jing Jing
Course stats: 5.5 M (18 feet) drop in 280 meters. 17 CU Mtrs. (600
cfs) Which by my calculations is 103 feet per mile. So needless to say, it is pretty stout whitewater for the precision required in slalom racing.
I would say it has about 50% more features than Charlotte or Augsburg.
So depending on the course that Eric Giddens designs, it could really come down to an amazing test of whitewater skills.
The grandstands are in very tight, so the 12,000 spectators and 2000 extras will be packed in to the best stadium feel whitewater has ever had.
Finally, in Mens kayak, I see an interesting race shaping up, as the technical styles of the top boats varies widely. Grimm, the German is very tall and lanky. I wouldn't say he is conventional at all, but he gets it done. Lefevre the frenchman is very unique to watch. Very few strokes. As joe jacobi describes, he focuses on the boat water dynamics. I would bet this is the next level for whitewater boaters worldwide. It is hard to describe how different this looks.
Molmenti the Italian is pure power. (great techniqe too, but the power jumps out as you watch.)
Kauzer (SLO) Walsh (GBR) and Scott Parsons all have more
"conventional- classic" Technique. It will be fun to see who shines!
This will be an amazing race!
Kent Ford and Lamar Sims
( course public address announcers)
Caiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #15
And btw Mike, thanks for the plug! Been trying to get that across for years... )
For anyone who wants to give it a try, there are a few gates still up at Golden as well as a set at the 20th Street on the S. Platte just downstream of Confluence. If you think you can't get a good workout AND improve your skills on flatwater I'd challenge you to go check it out...
Caiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #16
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
NBC sucks gymnastics chalk

The coverage is horrible. Europeans got great coverage on Sky Sports, as in complete coverage. Slalom is very demanding, either K or C boating style. It's all about precision, efficiancy, balance, posture, reading water at a level most boaters never know or are even capable of learning.

I know Michael Phelps is great, but come on? How many times is he in physical danger of slamming a shoulder or his head on a rock?
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #17
What do you guys mean the coverage is horible? You can watch on demand all of the qualifying, semi's, and final runs without interruption, comercials (or commentators) on There are literally hours and hours of coverage on demand that you can watch whenever. There does seem to be a 6 hour delay from the live events, but i would guess that is when they are encoding the video and uplaoding it to the web.
tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #18
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by mvhyde View Post

I know Michael Phelps is great, but come on? How many times is he in physical danger of slamming a shoulder or his head on a rock?
does being in danger warrant more attention? divers hit there heads on platform and boards all the time, we don't watch them......... main point, he is about to something greater than spitz and maybe something nobody in our generation will ever see again... just my guess. swimming back and forth is easier to understand than slalom. it maybe not be interesting to watch but if you are not a boater im sure that swimming would be easier to understand.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #19
It's on NBC right now. Nice course.
Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #20
I watched slalom on on-demand. If you have that it is cool cause there is not any comercials.

Ifloat is offline   Reply With Quote