Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-04-2014   #1
Knoxville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1995
Old, slightly leaky dry top on the Grand Canyon early June??

My trip launches on May 29th and I'm paddling an EZG. My NRS "plunge" dry top is about 9 years old. It has new neck and wrist gaskets, but the fabric is not dry. It's a moist top or a damp top. I know the water is cold, but considering that the average June high temp in the canyon is 102.7, a little bit of wetness seems like a good thing to me. And a new dry top sounds sweltering. The gaskets should prevent major 'water exchanges' like a scuba wet suit, even if I roll. Then throw in the fact that most of the canyon is flat and that makes a new dry top sound even more unneeded. But what if the weather turns cold and rainy in "the roaring twenties" or the big rapids day below Phantom (Hermit, Granite, Horn Cr)?

I live in the Southeast (Knoxville, TN) and most of the good creeking happens in Jan - May. I have a GMER drysuit that I wear most of the time. The shoulder season between a dry suit and a shorty top is pretty small - the drytop isn't needed very much, which I why I haven't replaced my old one. And I don't really want to spend money on a new dry top that I won't use very much - I'd rather save the $$$ for a replacement GMER when the time comes.

What do you think?

alexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
For a GC trip, given the length, you're going to want workable backups for your critical gear anyway (some sort of workable spare top, skirt, paddle, booties, etc.) So, buy a new shorty dry top, leave it unopened in the packaging at the bottom of your drybag. Return it for a refund when you get back, unless of course you decided 1 or 2 days in that it would be better than your leaky damp top, in which case it will have been well worth the investment. Shorties are nice for summer days anyway so its not a total throw-away investment.

roberts81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #3
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
I did in a leaky old dry top and boat (big ez) last year around the first weak of April, and it was Awesome , if I had the money I would of bought all new gear, a shorty sounds perfect.
jonahdid is offline   Reply With Quote