Old 11-08-2006   #11
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Actually, in the interest of furthering our individual awareness of our rights, and perhaps plagiarizing - this is from my ACLU cheat-sheet:

What to do if you're stopped by the police
Think carefully about your words, movement, body language, and emotions.
Don't get into an argument with the police.
Remember anything you say or do can be used against you.
Keep your hands where police can see them.
Don't run, don't touch police.
Don't resist eve if you believe you're innocent
Don't complain on the scene or tell the plice they're wrong or that you're going to file a complaint.
Don't make any statements regarding the incident.
Ask for a lawyer immediately upon your arrest.
Remember officer's badge & patrol car numbers.

If you're stopped in your car
Upon request, show them your DL, reg, and insurance. In certain cases, the police may search your car without a warrant as long as the police have probable cause. To protect yourself later, you should make it clear that you do not consent to a search. It is not lawful for police to arrest you simply for refusing to consent to a search.
If you're given a ticket, you should sign it; otherwise you can be arrested. You can always fight the case in courte later.

Police may "pat-down" your clothing if they suspect a concealed weapon. Don't physically resist, but make it clear that you dno't consent to any further test.
Ask if you are under arrest. If you are, you have the right to know why.

You do not have to consent to any search of yourself, your car, or your house. If you do consent to a search, it can affect your rights later in court. If the police say they have a warrant, ask to see it.

A handy little number to tell them about profiling-based stops:

Hm, time to put that on speed dial?

heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #12
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
I heard in a Youth drug class that there are four main reasons that a cop can search your house or property beyond resonable doubt (which to me seems like a grey area).

(this is coming from my school cop who was a bad ass)

1:consent: Giving a cop the right to search your car.... Which I think you can take back at any time in the search unless for any reasons below accur half way in:

2: Plain Sight (including all senses) Such a thing as a bowl of weed sitting on your dash would be reason to search.... or the smell of weed, or a keg at a party, or 20 kids running out the back.

3:A warrant:

4: I think this is more the probable cause, like a women screeming in a house... or some nature of something that could endanger the lives of someone....

Realistically.... at least in my situations..... Staying quiet usually helped me, and when i wasn't it never helped me.....the cop also told me at the class that you get your rights in court.... the cop isn't the judiciary branch... just the branch that enforces law to his best judgement... (being he is an honest cop).... and lets be honest, its a job where you are usually always the underdawg.....haha...

Ben Guska
Team WS

Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #13
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Yep, happened to me after paddling the Upper Gauley. Me and another non-smoker were traveling "varying speeds" in my four cylinder 1984 Toyota, loaded with kayaks, gear and my bed in back. When I asked what I did, he said I was driving between 45 mph and 56 mph. I said, I bet I was going 45 up the hills and 55 down the hills - kind of being a smart ass. That's when he wanted to search my truck with his dog. I knew we were clean and we were very hungry after hiking out Panther Creek, so I let him search. My stomach allowed the search. I was pissed off, though! He had the dog in the cab, then around the outside of the truck and then started into the back, where my bed was. I said, look SIR (good word to use) you won't find anything, I'm confident of that, I'd appreciate your dog not getting into my sleeping area, if he's a good drug dog and something was in there he would know it by now, so why don't you let us go get some Taco Bell up the road in Summersville. He let us go. The lesson I learned. Shuttle with the non-smokers, because if my buddy Brian would have been with me, we would have been in jail for sure.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #14
Print out one of these and keep it in your car/wallet. If johnny law gets testy, don't even speak, just hand it to 'em. I gave out hundreds of these following Steamboat's gondy-ganja crackdown and know they've helped a number of peeps.
routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #15
I'm pretty sure I got profiled in Steamboat. His reason for pulling me over was that I was doing 60 in a 55 zone.

Also, a few years ago, I was patted down when I ran a red light on a bike. I was in shorts. There wasn't a car nearby for 1/4 mile--but the nearest one was a cop. The reason for my being stopped and patted down was that it was the junior cops first day on the job and I was very easy meat. I wish I had known how to complain about that.
stof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #16
I travel I-40 every time I paddle and have never been pulled over. Keep the speed down in OK, they are really bored here. Yes here, I am stuck in Oklahoma. But not for long, TN here we come.
EZGSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #17
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
They cannot search you unless they have probable cause or permission. Just say Sorry sir I can not let you violate my rights. This can be spun in court, ahhhh fuck it, I love cops!!!! NOT It is amazing how many rights we give up to drive.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #18
pnw, Washington
Don't resist eve
Helio, is this a typo or is this some sorta metaphor about biting the apple?
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #19
Originally Posted by heliodorus04
So if you enjoy fine herbs, I guess you just leave them at home? I always wondered if I put them in the boat if the nastyness of the inside of a kayak would throw a dog off.
My guess would be no. inmates that try to mask it with their own feces still get caught.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #20
Maximum fun

Roland Oklahoma is simply awful. Anytime and every time I pass through that 3 mile stretch of I-40 they have some poor bastard pulled over working him. I gotten tickets there myself but never with my boat strapped on. My suggestion is to just slow down below the speed limit for that stretch of road.

For whatever reason cops see a lot of stickers on the back glass of a vehicle as a "target of opportunity".

BUSTERonBUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote