Old 07-04-2005   #1
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
OK--Little bored

Just wondering what folks thought about the runs in Co...If you could have any 3 and no others what's your pick?

1-Bailey----it's constant and reliable with good ww...Pretty place and close

2-Upper NSV---My personal favorite in the state..Difficult,pretty,and pretty remote for Co standards...You can paddle as hard as it gets if you want it...

3-Clear Creek---Never had a bad day there...Great rapids and can be ran at any level..Long season and includes parts for your car...

Next,what is your favorite river/creek outside of Colorado?

1-Upper cherry creek--Ca Paddling on the moon,clean granite drops

2-clear fork of the cowlitz--Wa 500 ft gorge with aqua blue water and trees that create a roof over the river..Unreal place

3-linville gorge--NC No way you think you're in the east...Good rapids in an amazing place.Always keeps you focused on what's at hand...

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005   #2
in no particular order:

Animas....need one big water run! Wish it was on the front range...Hmm, whats the name of my local congressman? maybe we can have them move it!

The Ark...Need to have a play run and the Ark has plenty of down river play stuff.

Bailey! One of the nicest, prettiest runs in the state and it holds a special place in my heart since some of CO's finest boaters drug me down that after I'd been boating for 6 months...and it still had Ice bridges!

Honorable mention: Clear Creek...from creeking (black rock/upper part above dumont) to cool after work runs like kermit's or lower. I'd choose this over the Ark but by cracky, it sucks to roll in most of it.

With those 3, who needs out of state stuff?

BigLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005   #3
1. The Arkansas (especially the Numbers). bonus - great free camping.
2. Bailey. bonus - prettiest run in the state, as far as I'm concerned.
3. Clear Creek (really like Kermit's over 500 cfs). bonus - only minutes from home.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005   #4
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
In no particular order.

1. Arkansas, just so many options on that one

2. Clear creek, super close quality boating especially black rock section

3. Green river (gates of ladore) one of the most beautiful rivers

out of state

1. Upper yough in maryland that place is just silly fun

2. Tully river Australia (sort of a combo between the upper yough and upper gauley but full of a bunch of crazy ausies)

3. Salt river in Arizona, another fantastic desert canyon
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005   #5
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i dont know about the rest, but i would put oh-b-joyful on my list, not only is it one of the prettiest settings ever, but the creek is awesome...short season is the only complaint
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005   #6
my two cents...

in-state...the piedra
out of state...bull's bridge in ct....check it out if in the area...
casy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #7
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Three In-State:

1. Bailey Canyon - long season, mostly wilderness, some fun drops, serious enough, but not full-on as to get you gripped

2. The Numbers - nice warm-up, great entry rapid (#1) and consistent past #4.5, good lazy fun

3. Westwater (ok let's pretend it's CO) - almost year-round, real wilderness, real beautiful, wavewheels

Honorable Mentions: Clear Creek and OBJ

Three Outta-State:

1. Watauga River Gorge, NC - one thousand boofs, pretty valley with clean water, low-stress creeking with two class Vs thrown in; Stateline Falls is a hoot and you can lap it

2. Upper Gauley, WV - best all-around big water in the USA, fun drops, alternate creek lines, awesome play, beautiful gorge

3. Narrows of the Green, NC - twelve months of water, uber-classic rapids, non-stop fun with nice eddies in between every drop, for average class V creekers and hair-heads alike

Honorable Mentions: Ocoee, TN; Tallulah Gorge, GA; Big Creek, TN; Chattooga Sec. IV, GA/SC
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #8
My list would include Gore Canyon.
gonzobreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #9
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
1. South Saint Vrain Creek The best after work run ever. mile after mile of continuous Class V, nothing too sick but it always has your attention. There are at least a dozen tricky but pretty much consequence free 5-6 foot boofs to refine your technique on. Perfect training ground for improving your creeking skills. And it's ugly looking enough that it will never be crowded.

2. Bailey I'm always reminded of the description of Granite on this run, where crc quotes the california guide book. "it has what every class iv run needs, a great class V right in the middle" or something to that effect. Ditto what everyone else has said about it.

3. The Source Super continuous rapids and super cold water, each eddy I catch my hands are burning in pain from the cold despite wearing pogies. No eddies combined with the high altitude makes it an aerobic workout. Gun Shy, way at the top and Dead Hiker Falls at the bottom are two of my favorite drops period.

out of state: Embudo It's pretty much the perfect Class V river, all it's missing is a clean waterfall. Everyone who paddles it agrees it is world class.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #10
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
upper a
dolores [stoner section]

out of state:
n fk payette
n fk american

steven is offline   Reply With Quote