Old 07-05-2005   #21
I don't know about you guys, but I would put Confluence in Denver up there around number 1... hell, anything on the Platte should be in the top 3. On top of that I would also say anything rasdoggy is running is going to be in the top 5. Oh yeah, what about lakes and resevoirs? Chatfield should get some mention, right??? :P

J Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #22
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
Count you been on the Rouge(sp) north of montreal? That place is sweet warm big water, maybe not as big as the ottowa since this is a tributary of it but fun nonetheless.

Plus when I was up there we used to see the local girls sunbating naked next to the class 6 portage.

stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #23
Golden, Colorado
In State:
1: Big South (whattya people thinking?)
2: Vallecito (assuming I don't get my ass kicked again next time)
3: Treasure (If the 25 footer onto the rock shelf was runable, and therfore the 6 or so drops above it, this would be number one. Anyone got some dynamite?)
Honorable Mention: Upper Animas because of the scenery and train-supported camping in addition to fun whitewater.

Out of state:
1: Grand Canyon (whoever says it's not about the whitewater is sneaking everything)
2:Upper Cherry Creek (haven't even run it yet and it makes my list just from the pictures!)
3: Embudo (early season kicks)

edit: but reading Gar's post again... if I could only have three runs and no others, meaning that is all I could run all season long, I would have to go with Bailey, Black Rock and Gore - all awesome runs and with longer seasons. The ones I picked above would get me on my mountain bike more.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #24
Have paddled a Quest
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I can't believe 2 of these 3 in state runs haven't been mentioned:

1) Slaughterhouse- fun eddy hopping through boulders, cheep thrills @ falls, fun surf wave near the end;
2) Encampment- fantastic wilderness run with a rapid named "Damnation Alley"- how can you beat that?!
3) Ark from Clear Cr. confluence to #5- the steepest section of the Ark, and the rapids below Pine Cr. are a blast.

Out of State:
1) Forks of the Kern, CA- classic IV+ wilderness run tons of really fun eddy hopping through big round granite boulders
2) Cherry Cr. run on the Toulumne- back in the day it was the tespiece for class V boaters- OK- I'm dating myself...
3) The Grand- best boating vacation ever.

Out of Country:
1) Fuy, Chile; some of the funnest class IV on the planet punctuated by 10-30 foot waterfalls.
2) Upper Paquare, Costa Rica; slept on the rocks at the take out after 3 class IV/V gorges in 10+ miles.
3) Hollin, Equador; After running the first rapid in this 2 day jungle run you are locked in for the next 35 miles of class III/IV with one portage in there somewhere.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #25
Servant to the Almighty
in Colorado:
1) Bailey
2) CC
3) Poudre - Spencer, mish, lower half of big south

out of state:
1)upper/lower blackwater, WV
2)Lower Moose, NY
3)Big Sandy, WV

nice post Gary. Sorry to hear about your shoulder.

Jim G
JimmyMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #26
no particular order here...

In CO (these are runs I really have come to miss):

Big Timber
Clark's Fork of Yellowstone (has it all, cl III & IV, ultra-wilderness run, big clV, overnighter, amazing setting, all practically back-to-back--yikes, I probably shoudn't be pointing this out).
SF of American (don't have that much CA experience, but this river has a broad spectrum (tons of sick water).
"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at
one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

- Ronald Reagan
mike a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #27
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
1. big south
2. lake cr
3. NFCrystal vs. vallecito

Outta state essentials that haven't been mentioned:
mann's cr
lower meadow into gauley
ashlu, eh...
ravens fork
west prong
little white
and, i gotta give it up to christopher cr in AZ too ...

((sorry for all the outta state spew, but i couldn't narrow it down any better.))
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #28
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Oh Ya

In State:
SFClear Creek- Z gourge

Out of state:
Upper yough
Clarks Fork

There are so many more and the more I think about it the more the list changes.

Reflecting on our adventures allows us to keep the spirit of joy, happiness, hardships, honesty and gratitude alive.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #29
Crystal Gorge

Out of State:
Upper Cherry
South Silver
slee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #30
In state:
1. Big South? Crystal?
2.Oh be - CO's answer to Disneyland. At good flows no need to get out of your cockpit and fun drops.
3. Gore - its not the biggest, but an all meat playboat run is always fun and between 2,000 and 2,500 its a totally different animal - fast and pushy 15' waves. So fun!

Out of state
1. Palguin upper/middle/lower rapids and waterfalls 15' to 75', as big as you want and plentiful.
2. Embudo - laps are fun
3. California granite - haven't done enough to know whats best; love the Love's Falls.

will rawstron is offline   Reply With Quote