October Middle Fork Salmon IK Trip Questions. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-22-2016   #1

Heaven, Wisconsin
Paddling Since: 1981
October Middle Fork Salmon IK Trip Questions.

I am hoping to do an early/mid-October trip on the Middle Fork Salmon with semi-lightly loaded tandem IK’s. This would be our first multiday IK trip as we are usually hardshell kayak self supporters (with plenty o'ELF experience). We would be taking tandem Aire Tomcats. We tend to plan for lightweight “luxury” like dehydrated homemade gourmet meals, Alite chairs, and powdered bloody mary mix. There is not a ton of info online about MFS IK trips this time of year.

I am looking for any input/advice on any logistical issues I may encounter doing it this time of year. I know to plan for constant cold, wet, and unpredictable weather in general. But what should I know about boating this trip in late season?

Can I absolutely get down it in mid-October this year with an IK? Has anybody done it after October 5th? (if so, what was the level)

Would I need to boat with less inflated tubes? (or is it no problem in an IK?)

Can we get from Boundary to Cache Bar in 5-6 days during that time of year?

Any help from you MFS ELF-ers would be very much appreciated.

WhatWouldJesusBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016   #2

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldJesusBoat View Post
I am hoping to do an early/mid-October trip on the Middle Fork Salmon with semi-lightly loaded tandem IK’s. This would be our first multiday IK trip as we are usually hardshell kayak self supporters (with plenty o'ELF experience). We would be taking tandem Aire Tomcats. We tend to plan for lightweight “luxury” like dehydrated homemade gourmet meals, Alite chairs, and powdered bloody mary mix. There is not a ton of info online about MFS IK trips this time of year.

I am looking for any input/advice on any logistical issues I may encounter doing it this time of year. I know to plan for constant cold, wet, and unpredictable weather in general. But what should I know about boating this trip in late season?

Can I absolutely get down it in mid-October this year with an IK? Has anybody done it after October 5th? (if so, what was the level)

Would I need to boat with less inflated tubes? (or is it no problem in an IK?)

Can we get from Boundary to Cache Bar in 5-6 days during that time of year?

Any help from you MFS ELF-ers would be very much appreciated.
Sounds like you have plenty of kayaking experience, if you are solid then.

Yes, 6 days should be fine,
plenty of water for IKs anytime
hard tubes should be just fine
you already got the weather figured out
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I have done it multiple times below 1.5 feet down to below 450cfs in a 17 foot raft.
You should have an easier time.

4 October trips. Two were in shorts most of the trip and the other two brought some of the coldest days on water of my life.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016   #4

Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Paddling Since: 2000
Sounds like a blast. That time of year you'll probably get whatever camps you want. Some favs of mine...
Big Bend
Trail (HS)
Dolly Lake
Sunflower (HS)
Loon (HS)
Funstun
Pistol
Cradle

There's lots more than this, and I haven't tried them all....yet.
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'd say go for it, for sure. As long as you know the weather might be awesome, or might be crap.

I would say, though, that 5 or 6 days may feel a little rushed- the days are awfully short that time of year. From boundary, I'd want at least 6 days, but just adding the 7th day would give you a lot more cushion.

Water will probably be low, but that time of year, I've seen spikes if it rains for days- could be 3 feet if it's rainy. . .most likely, though is 1.5ish.

Have fun!!
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote