Old 11-04-2012   #1
The Bitterroot, Montana
October Lochsa

Here is a quick video of the Lochsa on OCTOBER 30th! While the boating isn't that exciting it is my first edit and I wanted to get some feed back.

montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #2
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Although I think it's great for a first edit, I might have a few tips that I believe can be helpful for future edits:

1) In general, I choose either one audio, music OR river audio. So I would probably turn down the audio of the raw clip and leave us to listening to the music MOST of the time. There are exceptions though, like perhaps when giving a yell or when something from the live audio is worth listening too.

2) I prefer short, clean transitions most of the time. In your video, there are jump cuts. Basically it goes from one clip directly to the next. In iMovie, I prefer "Cross Dissolve," "Fade To Black," and "Cross Blur." Drag the transition of your choice between each clip. You can edit the transition length, and usually a half second works great..

3) Leif posted something about GoPro tips on his blog once, and it's EXCELLENT. GoPro footage turns out way better in sunshine. I also prefer using mine in a variety of ways. Wearing it on my helmet facing downstream is probably my least desirable method. It's great perspective to film other kayakers, but because of the wide angle, it's best to be uncomfortably close to other paddlers.

4) I usually start and end my videos with a blank black screen.

5) I do my best to transition from clip to clip with the music. For example, when we hit the chorus in many songs, that's a great way to transition to the more exciting exciting clips.

6) I have found that my videos have gotten generally shorter. I have gotten pickier with using my footage, so what used to be a several minute video has turned into much shorter as I've gained experience. This helps to keep viewers watching.

7) I am NO video expert, but I think you might find examples of what I'm trying to describe on my youtube channel. Check out MicahK1982's channel - YouTube for some of my videos. Good examples of what I'm trying to describe can be found in a few of the kayaking videos, like "Winter kayaking on the North Fork." Check page 2 if you are wanting to see more of my videos.

I think your first edit wasn't bad, so keep up the good work. I use iMovie and think it works great. What program are you using?

-Micah Kneidl

Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #3
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #4
Grand Junction, Colorado
No editing comments, but it looked great! Actually one thing... rainex and defogger on the lens and outer container could help with water droplets on the screen. I will say that I enjoyed seeing the Lochsa at low water. I wasn't even sure which of the rapids was Lochsa falls.. very different. At the same time, it's actually torture for me to your watch kayaking videos because I'm recovering from carpal tunnel release surgery on both hands. Have fun!
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #5
The Bitterroot, Montana
Thanks for the thoughtful response Micah. The sound thing played a trick on me. The level of river noise between imovie and vimeo seemed to change drastically. While I was putting it together I added the music and the only time I could hear river noise is when I flipped, which I thought added a cool effect. As soon as I uploaded to vimeo I could hear the noise throughout. That kind of puzzled me. Something I need to play with more for sure. Yeah, also going to get some rain-x and fog pads. Outlaw, Lochsa falls is at 2:55 or so. The very last shot is actually pipeline wich tripped me out the most to just see a little pour over.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #6
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Good advice. I didn't know about rain-x. I need to try that on my own GoPro. I have a very small scratch at about 11:00 on the outer lens and it always seems to attract water droplets that never drip off.

Top of helmet perspective looks a bit funny. It's about 10" higher than your eyeline, so when watching it, it looks uncomfortably tall in video. Put another mount right on your forehead or use the GoPro adjustable arms to lower the cam down to about visor height.

I've also seen some cool videos with the camera mounted about a foot behind the boater's head, slightly to one side or just above the helmet. It puts the paddlers head/arms/shoulders/paddle and more of the kayak in the view.

I don't have a chest rig, but a friend does, and that makes a really cool perspective with your hands/paddle in the view. It makes the waves look slightly bigger than you see at eye level--a helmet-top camera actually makes the waves look smaller.

Adding footage from a buddy's camera and only taking the very best shots is also a great way to spice up a video.

I didn't mind your audio levels. I don't like the tinny "GoPro housing/microphone" echo, but your music mostly covered that.
If you're trying to describe the Lochsa river to other river people, some footage audio is good.
If you're trying only to describe the river feeling--especially to non-boaters, you could skip it entirely.

I also want to play with some good slow-motion parts when taking bigger hits.

I'm still learning, too. Probably at your filming/editing level...but these are some of the things I am going to work on in my own videos next season.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #7
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Favre - I like the choice of tunes in your Brundage snowboard vid. M.i does a good job remixing JJ's stuff.

If anyone cares for it, I found the full album here.
M.i - The Jack Johnson Sessions (2010) // Free Mixtape @
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #8
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
Favre - I like the choice of tunes in your Brundage snowboard vid. M.i does a good job remixing JJ's stuff.
heck yeah!
And good use of the blurry footage sped-up for a filler, some back-of-helmet footage, and the candids at the start/end of the video.

I'm learning more and more that you have to shoot with editing in mind. If the interesting footage doesn't exist when you sit down in front of the computer, it's awfully hard to fake it!

Changing points-of-view or using multiple cameras is one of the best ways to make a single video interesting.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote