PolyMax Board - FarmTek

Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #12
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
"little" hike??
maybe I am just lazy, lol

Originally Posted by teleboater5.13 View Post

Instead of running the upper C you should head over to the North Platte. If you have run oars before you can put in at Routte and run down...if not you can put in at 6 mile (little hike down to the river) and run about 25 miles down to the next take-out. Good water, great fishing and a beautiful canyon. Although I have not been down that part of the river I believe there is not much to worry about, just manuvering around rocks and such.

Who knows if I get the weekend off I might be able to throw a frame on the shredder and meet up with yall

Its called a Lurk. Its what the old Norwegians used before we cut em up into two pieces
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #13
Bowman, I was in your exact shoes a month ago. Experienced kayaker but new to oars. I decided to start out on what I thought woudl be an easy Class III outing and even though we had not major incidents I can honestly say I was over my head. It took a while to get good and fast just at steering and then I kept having trouble either making moves too slow, or pulling too hard to make a move and ending up with way too much momentum. I

n the end I zig zagged back and forth and was completely spent after about 5 miles of consistent class III.

Even with all that said, go for it, you'll be fine! Just make your moves early and remember, it's just as hard to stop moving in a direction as it is to begin moving in a direction, so watch the momentum!
Does this condom make me look fat?
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #14
Moab, Utah
Trip Report

Trip was relatively smooth with minor incident. Ellen took a dunk due to unpreparedness and my operator error in the very first wave (not even a big one) above needle eye. She was holding an adult beverage in one hand and paddle in the other (she was ready to one-handed paddle assist in case I screwed up, go figure), and I tried to correct my boat angle with the wrong oar right above the wave - hit the wave sideways and she slid off the cooler into the drink. Ellen was laughing the whole time (good thing??), and was very proud of the fact that she threw the beverage back in the boat without submerging it in the river and rendering it ruined. I was rather uptight the rest of the day, which in turn upset her that I was being too "Safety Bob" and not enjoying myself. The other unfortunate incident on the river (albeit unrelated to us) also heightened my concern.

The lessons we learned for the day was that (1) Ellen does not like riding on the cooler (she felt too high in the air, her reasoning for why she took the dunk), and (2) I need 8" oar towers for my frame to make the rowing stroke more comfortable. I started to get used to "pulling away" from stuff, but I found it counter-intuitive to the skill set gained in kayaking and running the paddle raft so I will need some more practice. We both took turns on the oars, and it may be a few years before my dream of basking in the warm glow of intoxicated fish hauling from the front of the boat with Ellen at the oars takes shape. Thanks all, be safe.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #15
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Glad to hear you made it back ok. I heard there is someone missing in that section from this weekend. I knew you were too "Safety Bob" to not have your pfd on.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #16
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Anything tricky?

I'm taking my oar rig out there this weekend and plan to camp on the river and make some laps in the yak. I've never seen it this high, so are there any gotcha's? Needles Eye and Yarmony are the only rapids I remember. Anything I should avoid? I'm trying to avoid taking a lap in the kayak before I row the gear down to camp.

Also, how is the stetch between Yarmony Bridge and Rancho at this level? Flat still?

Any camps better than the others?
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #17
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
flat section?

I actually meant between Yarmony Bridge and State Bridge. Sorry. Long Monday.

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #18
Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
No Gotcha?Wind?

Stay Right of the rock at needles eye. There is a fun hole to the right after you get through needles eye.

Stay Left of a partially submerged Yarmony Rock.
Last chance is washed out...

Haven't run state section at this level but should be some fun little wave trains....

The wind in the afternoon can be a Goatcha it was yesterday.

grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote