View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Pins and Clips 9 18.37%
Oar locks 40 81.63%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2007   #31
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
no pins clips

take it from rastajah, no pins no clips bruddah, slice you and dice you like tomatoz, peace natty oarlocks

northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #32
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Middle Fork River Tours in Idaho. All rope and open with a rubber biscuit for a stop, but don't run on the stop that is for sissies. They do indeed get brassy sticky and the rope keeps your oar from sliding up and down. I do know you don't want to run oar weights on open oar locks without keepers or say bye, bye oar if you hit the shit and have to high side.

Originally Posted by raftus View Post
I think that is the best quote of the season so far.

I have recently heard that if you get rope wraps over time they get "brassed up." Apparently this means they get the right kind of sticky so you can position your oars at most any length, feather them, but not need the oar stop to hold them in place. This allows for different oar positions and was heavily favored by the person who told me about it.

Personally I haven't come across any guide operations where open oar locks without oar rights were standard (but I am sure that they exist - Dana what's 4 Corners standard setup?).

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #33
I hate pins/clips and oar rights. I think both are dangerous. If you are new, then oar rights will help you get a proper stroke without thinking about it, However, sometimes you also need to feather in the water. For instance, say another boat comes on top of your oar. The only way to get it out is to pull it owards you. If you can feather, then you can bring it towards the bow or strearn. Same goes for very powerful eddies.
Remoteproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #34
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Any femme prefs?

Seems like dude-heavy commentary so far. Any hardcore women or XX guides with strong views?

Having built timber fences for the FS for years, swinging a double-bit or a heavy hammer, I developed not only a strong grip but also an instinct for angle and torque. So it's natural that I prefer locks, wraps, and stops.

That said, I can imagine advantages to oar-rights or pins & clips, in lieu of gorilla forearms.

One of my pet hates are those icky foam grips– I ended up slashing them off a set of Carlisles in the middle of a trip and roughing up the plastic, so I could feel what was happening, featherwise. So far, no blisters. The grips on my wood Sawyers are nice.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote

« Spokane?? | embudo »