Old 02-21-2008   #11
River Gypsy
Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
What happened to this crew was pure bad judgement.

It was a dad with two young adult kids, acting like a tough guy. They gave me a shuttle up, and on the ride I told them that the water was about twice the level that they thought it was. They still opted to go for it. Andria and I came upon them later right as they ate shit. The son had swam to shore, the daughter was stuck out on that ridge of rocky debris, and the dad was nowhere to be found. We stabilized the scene and asked the son where his dad was. He had no clue and went downstream to look. Turns out the dad barely escaped being hung up on the raft, lost his shorts, and swam a good ways downstream before he managed to get out. We got the daughter and the raft off the rocks, then told them to hike their shit out.

I certainly don't think rowing the numbers is a good idea if you're clueless.

Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #12
Salida, Colorado

I usu put in at #2 and run a micro or stern frame paddle assist. I have friends who run it in an 18' cat at high water. Quick trip!

No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #13
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Numbers is just very fast, continuous and not much room to maneuver. Like said above, you would be oaring on rocks half the time at most flows.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #14
Paddling Since: 1994
rowing the numbers is good fun. i have done it some (600-1400) and hope to do it a bunch more this summer. when low it is a challenge to keep from rock stroking and at 14 its fast fun but dont try to catch the kayak eddy after the drop in 4. i think its 4. dave? i plasterd myself there once. looked last year at 24 and thought it was a little big and fast for a solo 12' row boat and opted out. mainly didnt want to swim when i flipped.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The eddy in question is below the boof in #5. tough eddy for a raft...

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #16
The next zone, .
I have taken a fishin frame and oars down the numbers a bunch.. The fishin is great and you dont have to deal with as many "I matched the color of my waiders to the color of my fly" types.

I see maybe a couple of others each year.. Not many people oar this section but if your skills are up to the challenge it is a fun run in a oar frame..
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #17
scottsdale, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1979
Rowing #s no big deal

I saw the Numbers for the first time in the early 80's from the seat of an oar frame on a 16' non-bailing raft, with a group of disapointed kayakers following us thinking we would eat it. If you know how to row it is no big deal. It would be nice to have some shots of all the kayaks and paddles that have been fished out of that stretch to go along with the upside down raft.
RRHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #18
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
a couple years ago i was paddling the #s at around 2200. a guy at the put-in asked me what the run was like, so i described it for him. he was rowing a 12 footer. then i noticed he only had one hand.

i watched him row through #4 and he styled it.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #19
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
I would also like to seem some carnage shots of the kayakers, that have lost boats, or gotten munched. I have run it at several different levels, and true its more technical low, its a hoot when its rippn'.

12' hyside cat, see ya there.....look for "hells bells" painted on the tubes, outfitter style, eddie out, and have a beer.
Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #20
canon city, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
oars in the numbers

hey rrhb i might have been on a few of those trips.

cayce weber is offline   Reply With Quote