Old 07-31-2012   #1
Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
NZ paddling advice needed

I've posted on some Oz/NZ boards, but I thought I'd check here and see if any of yall have any advice as well. I'll be in NZ for a couple weeks at the end of August, and I'm hoping to get out boating as much as possible. I know it's not quite boating season there at that time, but I'm optimistic.

2 considerations:
(1) Density of class 4ish (or easy 5) runs
(2) People to boat with

Right now I'm looking at heading to the west coast of the south island (which probably fits the bill for #1) or Rotorua area on the N island (more likely to fulfill #2).

Thoughts? Others places to consider?

yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #2
Twin Lakes, Colorado
NZ in winter

The best meeting place I found on the west coast was camping at Lake Mahinapua. Saying that, I would be surprised to find boaters there in the winter. Your best bet on the South island would probably be Murchison to run the Buller this time of year. North Island would probably have more options since it will be warmer.

kayak4gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #3
The Fort, Colorado
Rotorua on the North Island is a good bet. The NZ classic Kaituna is nearby. lots of boaters in the area.

Queenstown is another good option for the South Island. Its an outdoor mecca/resort town. Good access to water, but be prepared for resort-town prices and headaches.
whitewater_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #4
Golden, Colorado
Angela Hook is the TOP DOG at a company called D-Fa in Wanaka, NZ on the South Island. (visit ). Her brother Dave and sister in law Claire are avid whitewater folks and could possibly help you with where to go, who to boat with, perhaps places to get gear etc. Dave and Clare live in Hokitika and are both very expert class V whitewater kayakers (Clare NZ Representative in Woman's Slalom, Dave was NZ Kayaker of the Year last year) and would also be very keen to meet folks from Colorado or the U.S. in general. They also own NZ Kayaking School I believe.

Go through Angela and tell her Patty and Bart from Golden River Sports in Golden, Colorado sent you. Her email is Right now she is at the Outdoor Retailer convention in Utah, but she will be back in NZ next week.
PattyNYCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #5
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
My rec. would be to search online for kayaking/boating clubs of NZ. I know Auckland has a club, that goes everywhere on the North Island. From my experiences down there, people are pretty keen on meeting new boaters and odds are sending them an email or 2 will result in a wealth of info and boaters to boat with.
wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I second the recommendation for north island kaituna. Will be warmer and more likely to be running. Also on the north island is the Bliss Stick factory which will allow you to work for one week(5days), build your own kayak, and purchase it for 1/2 price. This is also a good way to meet people to boat with and is overall an awesome experience. Would highly recommend this for any boater traveling to NZ. PM me if you would like any info. P.S. you can camp for free at Bliss Stick and there is boating very close by.
bulabula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #7
Canberra, OZ
awesome, thanks for all the info everyone! I'm going to think about it buy some tickets soon...

yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote