Numbers ice conditions Sat. 1/14
Just drove the tunnel road to #4 and back. Beautiful morning. I decided not to boat today. Rio is still steady at 240ish. These last cold nights (and days) have really started to ice it in. The banks all have shelves on them. Getting out would be hard to impossible in spots. The rocks have big enough skirts on them so that a lot of the lines are only a boat width wide. Lots of spots with water pushing under shelves. Saw some ice bridges on secondary lines. The last drop above the Miner's campground take out, Devil's Claw, had a slab blocking the line. Pretty much a mandatory portage. The water had slush floating in it, felt like I could see the rio freezing up while I watched. Were I to paddle it, I would scout it much more than I did. Number 6 left line was extremely tight. etc. 4 and 5 were open but heavy ice above 5 both sides, putin pool at 4 would require ice sliding/breaking to access rio.
The run could still go today and I might do it with the right people but I would guess that tomorrow will be less reasonable and Monday worse yet. A 100cfs spike would clean it right out... Probably closed out until a change in weather or water levels.