Old 05-23-2008   #11
Indian Hills, Colorado
For the sake of clean rafting lines, I'll mention just a few other details:
#1 Technical, but generally center to left to right
#5 Large hole more or less center left above the main drop

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #12
You can go right or left at #2. The left goes best at above 1200. The right center to left at the bottom is a more fun move at anywater. sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #13
Don't believe anything Tomcat says. He's too old, from a flat state, and has forgotten how to paddle by now, for sure.... j/k

Good to hear from you old man!

my turn....

#1) Rock garden, or hole garden at this years flows, start center and dodge at will, but don't avoid EVERY hole, or it's just class II.
#1.5) Big munchy hole that you can avoid by going right, or fight to stay center for big fun.
#2) it's a left curving rapid, I usually start center and end center.
#3) quick and short, three big holes in the center are good to go if you have a good boof stroke, or easy to miss by staying to the right side.
#4) Longer than the others. Start center. Just before the rapid curves to the left there will be a big "superman" wave right of center. Yep, there's a hole behind it so make your kayak fly! Don't worry, it will flush you no problem. You can cut left for a less-steep line at the curve, or hesitate, stay right and bust left just before the diversion on the right for a steeper drop into the last part of the rapid.
#4 1/2) (above bridge) boat scout, keep your head up, rock garden stlye boating with a few ugly holes, but a bunch of surf play.
#5) Directly after the bridge, the water calms. Eddy out left as the river curves about 90-degrees right. Looking down stream you see a rock near to the right bank, then a second rock about 10 out. Between the two is the green-water tongue that you want to ride down. Keep in mind that at high water the rocks are under water and appear as raised mounds of water and your line is the "saddle" between. AFter you punch the minor hole below the tongue, the rapid quickly curves left about 90-degrees. Follow the center of the river through the curve. A good start at the top of this rapid is key to a good finish.
#6)On the approach, it looks alot like #2 with it's left curve, only the river is a bit wider. It runs the same, but is longer, curves back toward the right at the end and is shallower on the right side, so I usually stay center or left of center a tad.
#7)Read and run fun, multiple lines.

I lived is Buena Vista for a couple years and ran the Numbers 3-4 times a week, but that was about 5 years ago and now I only make it up there 2-3 times a year, so if my recollection is hazy or just plain wrong, then blame it on the beer I've drunk since then.

edit: ---Oh, these are from a kayak point of view, your rafting milage may vary.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #14
Stoner, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Any predictions for flows on Numbers for August 1...1000cfs sound reasonable? Does it get a lot more technical for rafts at those flows? We will likely be in a Super Puma or a 14' otter.
Ikedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #15
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
What about an oar rig in the numbers. too tight? anyone done it? how about in a cat with long oars?
ridersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #16
I've run a 12' Cat with 9' oars on the Numbers from 500cfs to 3000cfs.
Techno rock dodging but fun at 500. The Numbers is one of those runs that is fun at all levels. At 500 cfs do not run with a floor, you wil be straddling rocks.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #17
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Please rain

Originally Posted by Ikedub View Post
Any predictions for flows on Numbers for August 1...1000cfs sound reasonable?
If it doesn't start raining, I would be expecting more like 700-800. However, if we get some decent moisture I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back up a little...

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote