Old 06-23-2009   #1
NSV hike in beta

So I try to do NSV every year cuz it's such an awesome adventure but the first few miles are pretty tough to enjoy (what Christian referred to as "obscene mank") and the wood situation seems to get worse every year (we had 10+ wood portages three weeks ago.)

Last weekend we tested out a hike-in/hike-out option that I really liked. I might not ever do the full run again. If you don't like hiking with your boat this isn't for you but we managed to get every drop in the cali section and we had zero wood portages. Our Lyons to Lyons time was about 9 hours (vs. 12-13 for the full run.)

The hike in is on the Bright Trail (look at a map...accessed from Hwy 7 4WD required.) This trail took our group around 60 minutes and puts you just below the last murkwood log portage (you'll still have 1-2 log portages if the flow is less than 275.) Two miles of class 3 deliver you to the cali section.

The hike out is on the Dry Saint Vrain trail (also accessed from Hwy 7 on a 4WD road.) The hike out took us around 45 minutes and starts less than a mile below Eye of the Needle. I marked the takeout hike with a cairn on a flat rock in the river but no guarantees that will still be there.

If you want the real terrifying NSV experience do it from the top. If want some exercise and 3-4 miles of the besthigh quality class V consider the hike.

We had about 300 in Allenspark and that is about the perfect flow for the Cali section. It'll be good and juicy this weekend and I wish I'd be around to check it out but I'll out of town on a different cali section.

doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #2
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Why did you hike out? Just curious... Not into the flatwater paddle out?

Thanks... This is now on my radar...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #3
Mostly we just hiked out to save time. The boating after the cali section isn't scary/manky but it's slow and not that exciting (besides one decent V - The Slot.)

Also, the shuttle for the regular run is about 75 minutes each way. This option reduces the shuttle to about 30 minutes each way.
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote