Old 08-26-2009   #1
NRS vs DRE frames

has anyone rowed them both?? i see lots of NRS frames on the water on multi-days, and notice that Down River Equipment frames are considerably more expensive. Are the worth the extra cost?? Why or why not??

bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #2
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96

BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #3
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #4
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
bigwatertoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #5
I'm kinda of interested in more of a thought out response than a simple yes. Why are they so much better?
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #6
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
My friend has DRE diamond plate frame. Some things that DRE has that NRS doesn't:

1. Double rail (NRS is single rail)
2. Diamond Plate
3. Bigger screws
4. Custom size
5. Custom towers
6. Custom flip chair
7. Custom foot stand

You really paying extra price to DRE for custom work. They don't have anything standard. I've heard good and bad things about DRE. I heard at Westwater putin the rumors that DRE uses not as strong aluminum as NRS does. The guy who told me that gave me bunch of fancy fact words which I can't recall now, but basically he said aluminum on DRE is flimsier than NRS. Don't hold me to that though, since I can't back it up with facts, just what I heard.

I don't own either yet, but I spent quite a bit of time with Zach from DRE on the phone designing a frame for my boat. I am test driving an NRS custom frame this weekend, I can give more feedback then.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #7
OC-1 disciple
Fort Collins, Colorado
Had both but could only love one, didn't care for the other, my DRE is in the shed, my NRS is floating down a river with someone that loves it more than I could or wanted to.

Strength issues, I am not sure I am that concerned. 2 flips in the grand, 1600# fully rigged boat, frame and rigging were rock solid, not even a scratch. That being said, the aluminum doesn't fare well on trips back home in a hastily packed trailer, my seat took a grindin' that I don't at all care for.
The frame? Best investment on my boat to date!
jonas_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #8
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Ron at River Boat Works in Salida makes a fantastic frame. So does DRE. They are basically the same thing, beefier than the NRS with bent corners, less joints, and a better design. When discussing frames with Ron once he told me that he's been up against the canyon wall twice in his life, once in a Down River frame, and once in an NRS. The NRS was mangled, the DRE was fine. Nuff said.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #9

I like the NRS stuff for its flexibility. I use my frames on different tubes, and for vastly different kinds of trips -- everything from cruising the Mississippi River to doing the Grand Canyon.

With NRS, it's easy for me to move the crossbars, add crossbars and other fixtures, and generally fine-tune the frame for a variety of uses.

Having said that, the DRE frames look good, seem quite durable, and certainly work well for many folks. It's just that the more modular NRS approach seems to give you easier variability than DRE.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #10
Granby, Colorado
I own both frames for my cat and the DRE is hands down more functional for me. I had them double rail it and it is absolutely worth the extra money. I can rig my gear cleanly and everything is easy to access- especially on multi-day trips.

The fittings DRE uses for cross bars make it very quick and easy to make adjustments to bay size as opposed to the LoPros NRS uses. Also, the rotating footbar is sweet. I retroed my NRS frame footbar like DRE's but then just ended up buying a whole new frame from DRE. I haven't looked back since.

They are both high quality frames. It just came down to function and efficiency for me.

jemjemez is offline   Reply With Quote