Old 01-30-2010   #51
fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Just curious... why don't you like floors in cats? The eliminate the need for scout bars. Increase your storage options. I'm not talking full length, but I love having a floor in my rowing compartment. What am I missing?

Second the opion on NRS and cat frames. Too heavy. Too many comprimises. DRE/AAA frames are also adjustable... they just leave little dimples on your siderails where the setscrews go in.

Wnt2b0at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #52
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
[QUOTE=Wnt2b0at;171347]Just curious... why don't you like floors in cats? The eliminate the need for scout bars. Increase your storage options. I'm not talking full length, but I love having a floor in my rowing compartment. What am I missing?/QUOTE]

I see one of the main advantages to a cat over a raft is maneuverability, they darn near have brake-ability and slice through monstrous waves like a hot knife through butter. When you add a floor, you give the river something to push against (with the big waves) other than just those two tubes. More surface area to hit, more force against the boat.

Now I've never rowed a cat with a floor, but after rowing a cat sans-floor in big water, it just makes sense intuitively.

Plus, when you flip you can come up in your rowing compartment, and the scout bars give you something to grab when you heft yourself back up, like the drain edges in a swimming pool.

My scout bars go all the way front/rear, so they will support a drybox full width. I also use a sheet of polymax in that rear compartment on multidays so I have something to set things on as you say. For day trips, there's nothing there and it's just another open compartment which is nice when you find yourself in the water having to crawl back up.

Not having a floor in my cat made me think, when I first got it, I needed to be prepared to fall through, but it never happened.

Keep in mind I"m recommending this to TTMTR expecting she'll be following some of her crazy boating friends that tend to do bigger stuff, I'm guessing that's the direction she'll go. Since she's got a raft for the long mellow floats, I guess I don't expect she'll be wanting a cat for such a trip, which is where floors really serve a purpose, especially with passengers. As a fellow boater with a raft, I'd take my raft for such trips and my cat is for solo, bigger water/more technical multidays and day trips.

Now chip uses polymax for his floor, and I kind of think that is somewhere inbetween the two options, but closer to no-floor. It is so much more open (meaning not a big surface for the river to push against) than trampoline stuff, but not as rigid either.

Now for the exception, there are Class V boaters that run trampoline floors, so of course there's a million ways to skin this cat. No floor is what my mentors encouraged me to do, and it seems to be the way 95% of the Idaho cat boaters run, I'm glad I went that way.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote