Old 01-02-2009   #1
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
NRS Reactor Gloves

I know we've had a few glove discussions in the past, but I just got a pair of NRS Reactor gloves, and I'm not sure I want them. The fingers have a HUGE amount of curl to them. Hubby has them and used them in a WW rescue class this past fall, and like them a lot. Today I found out he had to take them off a lot when we did any rope/hand work. So I'm not sure I want a glove that won't work for oh-shit! scenarios, and where and when I'll use these there will be swims.

So, anybody that has/had them, what do you think? They sure are thick, and it will be cold.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I certainly feel like I can bolt out of my boat, undo a biner and throw a rope while wearing the Reactors ... As for more complex stuff, yeah I could see a problem. That said, if your hands go numb from cold, your fingers won't be working too well to do intricate things anyway, yeah?
If I get out of my boat to scout and set safety when it's cold, it sure is nice not to have pogies. It seems when you have pogies, when you get out to scout/set safety, your hands get colder b/c they're exposed. But with the Reactors, when you get out, your hands only get warmer because they're still in the gloves but no longer in the water.
That said, for long periods of uninterrupted paddling in serious cold, pogies are warmer, at least while you're wearing them.
Also, with the Reactors, they will fall apart. They'll come undone at the seams between the thumb and the pointer finger. The stitching comes out. Every time. I've had like four pairs, and they all do it. I probably get about 30 river days out of a pair of reactors.
I've never been bothered by the finger curve -- that shouldn't be a problem if the gloves fit you.
I have both pogies and Reactors, and use one or the other depending on the situation.

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have used reactors for years, here are my thoughts:

They have held up very well for me, no real wear despite a lot of use.

They are warmer than any other gloves I have tried. This isn't to say that my hands are always warm in them, they still get cold, just that they seem to be less cold than my friends with other gloves.

The dexterity is decent, few things require taking them off. Thinner gloves give more dexterity, but result in colder hands.

The finger curve has never been an issue. You hands are usually wrapped around a paddle or a oar anyway.

I would give them a reserved recommendation. Not perfect, but maybe the best you are going to find.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote