Old 03-11-2009   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
NRS drysuits

Anyone know how good these drysuits are (or are not)?

poudreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #2
I just used the NRS Extreme Drysuit on a Grand trip and would highly recommend it.

windowshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I have a Inversion drysuit. I like it and wear it often.
Proslackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #4
I have the mission with the eVent fabric, i would highly recommend it. super comfy,dry and you hardly notice you have it on. seems to run a tad small on the sizing. great drysuit
ncpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #5
Denver,, Colorado
Paddling Since: 03
I had the Mission drysuit with the eVent fabric. I would not recommend it at all.
I noticed that the first couple times in class 3 water and no swims that it would sort of keep me dry, but no at all like it should. After a 3 or 4 times wearing it, and still no swims, I noticed that I was getting drenched. I could actually feel the water coming into the suit if I got hit in the chest by a wave. I sent the suit back to NRS, and after dealing with some customer service issues (they said they didn't have one in stock, so I would have to wait a month for them to replace it), I got a brand new suit. This suit had the same issue as the first. I called up NRS and asked for my money back...I went and got a Kokatat GMER....which is awesome and slightly more expensive.
I would go witih a Kokatat over a NRS.
Also, check out the Palm Stikine...It is slightly more rugged fabric than the Kokatat or NRS, but you sacrifice some of the breathibility compared to the Kokatat. The main difference is that the Palm's have the zipper on your back instead of the front, so it depends which is more comfortable for you. I think the Palm Stikine costs about the same as the NRS Mission.
borkin17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #6
One of my roommates has one, bought it 2 years ago. He used it about 8 times and it started to leak. The fabric on the front near the zipper began to degrade. You could see little pinholes of light along the fabric near the front zipper. He takes good care of his gear, mabey NRS will replace it.
I've owned a few NRS things. My NRS splash pants had stitching come apart on the back after about 5 days outside. I sent them in, they fixed the seams. Now all of the seam tape is coming unglued from the pant. It's only the second season I've owned them. Not a fan of NRS wear. It seems kokatat is the tried and true option. I've heard good things about the Immersion Research and Palm suits. Stohlquist makes them as well, never seen anyone wear one though. Good luck!
phillersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I seem to have had better luck with NRS stuff than most people. I have had friends constantly bitch about NRS, and it seems like their gear just falls apart. I have had an NRS drysuit for a couple of seasons and it has kept me really dry. I have also had some drypants and a drytop from them for years and they have been awesome. I mean, the drytop is not that dry anymore, after like 5 years, but no seams are coming apart or anything.

I think NRS has quality control issues, sometimes you get stuff that is decent, and sometimes you don't, you never know.

It has been my experience that their customer service is just fine.

Of course the Kokatat stuff is better, you get what you pay for. If you are broke, NRS stuff is an option for sure.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #8
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
Kokatat is the best. They also repair//replace gaskets and do pinhole checks for a reasonable rate. Ive had mine for 10 years, love it.

Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote