Old 02-03-2012   #21
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
We have two of the NRS Mission Drysuits. The fabric and seals seem fine, but the relief zippers leak on both. They were brand new and used for 1 season so far. Very heavy useage for 2 months, but they leaked from the start. To be fair, I haven't contacted NRS regarding the problem. They would probably take care of it promptly.

WindInTheWillows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #22
Professional Transient, See above.
Roughly 7 years ago I had the NRS dry top (triton?- whatever the least expensive model at the time was and it was pre-event) and dry pants combo. The top/bottom combo always leaked. I'd get wet inside even if I didn't swim while rafting (big water- very splashy). When I swam I got used to having maybe a gallon of water in each pant leg, as the ankle gaskets sealed the water in. I got rid of the pants.

When I used just the dry top it started out dry for the first month or so, then started to leak horribly.

I literally couldn't give it away towards the end. Water would go right through it worse than a rain jacket by the time I threw it away. I could pour a bucket on the jacket, and it would be wet inside.

I've now got a Kokatat dry top (Rogue) and a Kokatat dry suit (GMER). I'm starting to wear out the cloth booties in the dry suit, but no complaints. On my third set of gaskets on the dry top and 2nd set on the dry suit I believe. Somewhere around 150-175 days in the dry suit, and more in the dry top.

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #23
River Gypsy
Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
The NRS drysuit that I'm having good luck with is the Inversion. I think the TriTon fabric is solid stuff - I have that on my drytop as well. If you have the Mission with the E-vent fabric, they are closing that material out.

Since my original post here I've put 5 more days on the drysuit and it's still totally dry. Two of those days were playboating, so I was fairly immersed all day.

Only time will tell how the suit and top hold up over multiple seasons, but they are as solid as can be so far.

Team NRS
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #24
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg

i push rubber in the pac nor west where glacial flows extend into august some years, i have been through 3 extreme releif drysuits and all of them have held up very well. im living in these suits 35 days a year. nrs warranty is great. im 5,7 200 pounds and think medium is a good size
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #25
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by mjibilian View Post

But I'm still curious which models everyone is using, especially since there's apparently a good chance of difference in performance.
I have the NRS Extreme Relief and I haven't had any problems with it. It's a few years old and only gets light usage (rafting) but the only dampness I've experienced is from perspiration.
Fash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #26
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
What to do?

Great posts, I'm thinking about a dry suit but don't know what I should do.

I'm taking a SRR course the beginning of may and need a dry suit or wet suit to participate. I can rent a wet suit and boots in town for ~$70 (clearly the cheapest option).

If I were to buy something that qualified I may as well do so before the course and avoid the rental fee, but I'm not sure if anything short of a full dry suit would qualify. I can get my hands on a new NRS Mission dry suit for about half what a kokatat goretex expedition costs. Although I could get a kokatat lightweight paddling suit for somewhere in the middle - but would that qualify as a dry suit and would that be superior to an NRS Mission dry suit?

Also does anyone know about other brands - I find BARE watersports dry suits priced similar to NRS, cheap no discernable brand "watersports dry suits" from china that look OK on the ebay link for even cheaper, and a host of scuba type dry suits (typhoon, etc.) listed as well.

Currently I raft but would love to kayak and while the places I love to raft are shorts only warm in the summer, the flows are high enough to go now if I wouldn't freeze... But then again who would I get to come rafting with me in February

Advice greatly appreciated!!

Issip is offline   Reply With Quote