Old 09-13-2010   #1
Paddling Since: 1993
Nov-Dec GC Sun Chart.

So I scored A launch date on Nov, 20th and was trying to put my itinerary together. I was wondering if anyone out there has any beta on better camps and layover spots in the Canyon this time of year. I thought I saw a GC Sun Chart on there sometime ago, but I cant seem to find it now.
Thanks team!

h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
This would be a great question to toss out to the Grand Canyon Private Boaters Assoc. email list. They may even have it on their website. Go to www dot gcpba daht org and get on the list, you'll be able get great feedback from folks that know the GC very well.

I had a buddy that did a Dec. 21 launch and said it was like being in twilight the whole time with only about 5 minutes of sunshine the whole trip. That said, I'd expect they were able to get some sunshine at Furnace Flats or in the lower Canyon - good place to plan a layover.

Have a good trip,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #3
Thanks Andy!

Will do.
Old 09-15-2010   #4
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Hi, I think that this is the sun chart that you were thinking of:

Camp sun/shade - Rafting Grand Canyon

Have a great trip. We launched on Thanksgiving a few years ago and lucked out with great weather, save for some rainy days towards the end. The most miserable camp we had was at backeddy (below Deer Creek on the left) which, we found out after the fact, gets hardly any sun between October and March and was frigid. Think about getting up earlier than you think you need to for the longer hikes - we finished the deer creek to thunder river loop after dark (which may explain the crappy camp). We laid over at Nakoweap, Bass, and 220 (because we stayed on the river all day and made 35 miles to keep warm as it poured on us. Luckily there was a lot of whisky left). Look up how to make a river sauna because it will pay off, and bring shorts AND a dry suit. Cheers!
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”-Ed Abbey
Emmielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #5

Good stuff. Thanks a ton.