Old 05-12-2010   #1
Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Not using a nose plug

Anybody have tips for getting use to boating (and rolling) without a nose plug? I think they are probably the most annoying thing about kayaking, but hate the nasal douche. I can swim, dive etc... without one without getting water up my nose but haven't figured how to roll without injecting a good shot of water up it.

Any tips to closing it off or blowing out it while rolling without a nose plug?

CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I boated without Noseplugs for years. I would always let air out my nose to keep water out. You go through a lot of air doing that. Once I finally accepted nose plugs, I found I could stay in my boat much longer upside down.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #3
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I know people who can suck their upper lip to close off their nostrils, I guess I need bigger lips.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #4
Lakewood, Colorado
If you haven't tried the plugs with the large pads and spring (Confluence sells them, they're made by Prijon), they are so much more comfortable and easy to use than the small pinch ones. I also forced myself to get used to noseplugs after my first couple seasons because I lost so much air keeping water out. Plus I always seemed to have allergies the day after boating with no noseplugs.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #5
Send a message via AIM to damax101
I can swim and dive without nose plugs no prob as well, but Dave is right, nose plugs will help you stay under longer especially when getting worked in a hole. I found them uncomfortable and annoying at first, but not as much as the allergies I got from having river water shot up my nose.

damax101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Like Dr. Strangelove I think you need to stop worrying and start loving the plugs. If noseplugs were not invented I might have to give up kayaking. I also have an especially large target so it's particularly useful for me. I know people who are indignant about creekers wearing noseplugs, but whether I'm getting worked in a hole in a river or a creek I like to hold in my air and avoid the nasal douche. I usually paddle w/ a full face helmet so I just stick them on the face guard normally and put them on my nose above a drop or busy section. No big deal.

At the put-in my friend once demonstrated his no-noseplug-wearing technique when he flips and ended up blowing snot all over a girl's brand new drysuit who he just met; yet another reason to just love the plugs.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #7
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
It is not allergies that is bothering everyone. It is akin to a sinus cold when water gets into your sinuses when you are flipped upside down. When you swim and dive your right side up for the most part, so gravity and some internal air pressure keeps the water from getting into your sinuses. Not the case when you are hanging there upside down in your yak. And yep, I gotta wear them too.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #8
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

Humming works great. Try it the next time you go out. Less air going out than blowing air out and easier to control.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I don't use noseplugs when creeking because I usually only roll once or twice, and it doesn't seem to be an issue. I have to wear nose plugs when playboating though, because I roll all the time. I have a big Jewish nose, where do you pick up a pair with the big pads?
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #10
Hate Valley, No Tresspassing
Paddling Since: 2020
I hate noseplugs, good for rolling though.

Full Of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote